We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

Hi - I'm looking at going last two weeks of august when it's school out and am wondering if anyone else from Britain has flown at this time and I have a few questions:

We are looking at going through FC/Thomson and flying from manchester or newcastle - newcastle is closer and cheaper but it adds 2 hrs onto the flight? I've got a bad back and another two hrs seems like sticking pins in my eyes. Have looked at the flight and it says direct but to me it can't be for the difference - can anyone help with this? Also we went to Cuba last year and booked premium flights cos hubs and eldest son over six foot but it was not worth the money - is there really any difference in the seats (3 inches is neither here nor there is it lol?)

Although I have had a few people say evenings for teenagers is good, have just read it's pretty pants and the disco (probably quite rightly) is for 18+. Has anyone been british summer holidays with two moody boys and got any more info?

Also what are the mozzies like there at this time of year - if any? Got bitten bad by sandflies in Antigua so will stay away from the beach at night!

Lastly - is the booze and food ok???

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Sacatepequez Department, Guatemala
Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

mamagizmodude - are you going again with Thomas Cook cos I looked to see what price they were charging and they don't have this holiday available. I'm with you on this one if you're from Newcastle and fly from Manchester - booking a holiday is a pain in the backside for me cos hubs is in Afghanistan and I've got to get it right for all of us and plus the holiday keeps going up every week so I've got to book asap!!!

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Level Contributor
322 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

Lisa, we are going with TC again, but we booked with them September to be going in May this year. The hotel is very popular and books up very quickly, so maybe if you have just booked, that's why it is not available. We knew straight away we wanted to go back and were in the position to book it then. The only thing that stopped us booking sooner was that we were price watching.

I hope your hubby is having an 'easy' tour in Afghanistan (not sure if 'easy' is the right word, but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean).

The thing that puzzles me is why it was £300 more to go from Manchester than Newcastle if the plane touches down at Manchester first?

Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

Hi mama - just spoke with hubby and had a look at the flight dates and prices and it is 'to say the least' bizarre:

Weds 17th Aug from Manchester - £5448

Thurs 18th Aug from Manchester - £5988

Fri 19th Aug from Newcastle - £5068 but 12hr 20 min flight

I really am baffled - can't even say it's cos of school holidays and starting back cos it's within the 6 weeks?!? I am beginning to think they make it up each day as the 17th Aug price was £5052 in March. Arrrghhhhhh

BTW - hubby's not doing a tour but works out there 24/7 (tho don't know which is worse) :-0

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

Lisa, I'm not sure, as I am flying Westjet down this year, which is a one-class scheduled airline, and flew scheduled (Air Canada) and opted for bulkhead seats the last couple of years before that (as opposed to proper Business Class) . I was speaking on my experience flying UK to transatlantic (Caribbean etc) charter as I am a displaced Brit myself!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Stockton-on-Tees...
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

emma - oh I see now why you replied and thanks for doing so - I didn't want to seem rude to my fellow Canadians by asking the question just to British travellers but it was because of my questions, so it just goes to show!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

No worries, I'd be confused at me if I didn't know I was a Brit! ;)

In terms of the costs being different different days, it is normally just about supply and demand. The more a date is sold, the higher the price will be (this is true when you are some months out, not necessarily last minute). Thus if the Friday they have sold 100 / 300 seats on the plane, the costs would be lower (normally speaking) than the Thursday if they had already sold 200/300 seats. That is just looking at flights, but similar works for hotel rooms.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

You will find its cheaper on the net when booking on a Tues/wed/thurs they seem to put prices up over the weekend as more people are looking for holidays.

UK
Level Contributor
440 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

We found the same with booking mid week being a much better price. Plus booking to go on a thursday means you get back on a Friday morning, and then have Sat, Sun to get over your jet lag before returning to work if you work a mon-fri job. Works well for my boyfriend.

19. Re: GBP Akumal - Need some Brit advice??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 05:18