We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand palladium question - from the UK

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
grand palladium question - from the UK

we are thinking of booking this hotel...what about the pics of the little critters we see......are they a nuisance ???? do thy come near u when ur eating....etc ( im not keen on cats/phobia so wondering if they approach u near the beach /pools etc etc )

where would u suggest we get our room.??

..near the beach ???

upper floor ????

dont mind walking too and from places -

do UK first choice customers get placed in one particular block etc etc ???

thanks for answers.....

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
288 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

We never had any problem with critters as long as you don't feed them -- land, air or water. If you don't mind doing the stairs, the 3rd floor is our favorite because it's quieter, more privacy and you can watch the birds soar on top of the tree canopy. If you mind the stairs, stay on the first or second floor. When you check in, ask them to show you where your room will be on the resort map. Very few have a beach view -- mostly jungle. It is a large and spread out resort BUT it gives you the feeling of having space and adventure. There are "trains" that run from lobby to lobby if you don't feel like walking. Luckily we're all mixed together so you'll have the opportunity to talk with vacationers from many different countries

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

Depends which section firstchoice are offering, its normally Kantenah/Calonial and White sands/Riviera. I would just book which ever comes out the cheapest unless you do want a special room. Last time we stayed in Kantenah 47. This time with Thomsons it has just come up Kantenah/calonial for April. When we walked around i think that we had a great location with the Kantenah. It is central to most things and easy to get to beach, a lot more things happening.

The animals dont bother you, but as said PLEASE dont feed them. There are signs up saying not to. I think you will get them at other resorts too. I know that at Riu Tequila a few years ago there was loads of Coatamundi everywhere and in big groups, a lot more than we saw at the Palladium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coati

Have pm,d you with some external links.

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

oh thats ok then ta for all ur replies...we gonna book the 11 nights with first choice....

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

the coyties are a nuiscance at the 24 hour beach bar at night or the seafood restaurant (outdoors on the beach) in the evening.

They look like racoons and will openly try and steal food off your table and come up to you while your sitting there and beg. i really didnt like them round the table, they stole bread rolls off side plates on a couple of tables while people were eating, they are wild animals - the waiters did try and chase them off lol.

Dont get me wrong they were cute to see especially baby ones with mum n dad but i didnt like them around the food, one had a big bite on his neck oozing blood. Apart from these the other critters keep there distance.

You will love the grand pall though, great hotel. Click on my name to read a lengthy review with lots of tips

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

The resort has recently relocated many coatis as people continued to feed them despite many signs asking guests not to (feed them). There are still some racoons near the beach bars/Punta Emilia restaurant. Please don't feed the animals.

I was there three weeks ago and saw some very shy agoutis around the Kantenah beach in the morning, many iguana that basically don't pay much attention to humans and a possum.

The resort has plans to set up and contained animal area for children similar to the crocodile areas. There are biologists on staff who oversee the animals. Remember though that they (the animal)s are not domesticated and should not be fed.

The resort has also added some containers of fish food near the kois that they place out after noon for people to feed the fish. Please don't use bread either with the kois or in the ocean.

The resort has also added some new trash receptacles that have lids to discourage racoons from lingering aorund the trash. Please dispose of your trash in these containers.

You will love the Palladium. You can request a room/building/floor a week or less before you arrive. For standard rooms I woulod suggest 46 or 47 on Kantenah / 6 or 7 on Colonial.

Edited: 25 February 2012, 02:47
manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

thanks for replies...

checked out ur review '' naughty'' !!! great and very informative - gonna book this - :) it really sounds nice.....apaprt from the critters...:(

cant stand cats near me ...so guess i will have to be prepared.....but i guess all the rsort are like this from looking at the pics....???

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

There are very few cats (maybe 2 on the entire massive resort).

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

thanks but what i was refering to is the fact i have a phobia with cats....and cannot have them near me within 3ft....just cannot stand them near me....

so with this in mind and from previous answers to my question.....are they ( the coyties ??? ) that much of a nuicance that they just wont go away ...as this all depends on me booking this resort....im very hesitant in doing so :(

or should i just look for another beach rsort in mexico that does not have the little creatures....???? thanks

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

You will find it hard to avoid. Cancun is best bet, even Playacar which has loads of condos has them.

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: grand palladium question - from the UK

There were a lot more than 2 cats when we were there in november. There were 3 or 4 at El Jardin (the royal restaurant) and at least 6 that I saw at the colonial buffet. those were only 2 places. other said that there were some at the beach bar