We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agoda mis-selling

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Agoda mis-selling

I have just turned up to check in to the hotel I booked through Tripadvisor and been told that they have no room available. It’s 1 am, I’m alone in a strange city and nowhere to sleep for the night. It turns out Tripadvisor have aligned themselves with Agoda, though this is not made clear at the point of booking; I thought I was dealing with Tripadvisor until I received my booking confirmation email, which mentions Agoda. Apparently, it is Agoda’s customary practice to sell hotel rooms, taking full payment up front, without any contact with the hotel, leaving it to the hotel to create a booking when people to turn up. That booking is then paid for with the ‘voucher’ you have in actual fact purchased from Agoda. Tonight; I was the third person to be turned away on an Agoda booking at this hotel and they tell me it is almost a daily occurrence. This is dishonest business practice and misappropriation of people’s money under false pretences and mis-selling and should surely be looked at by Trading Standards.

15 replies to this topic
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agoda mis-selling

So, at 1am in a strange city and with no bed, your first reaction is to join Tripadvisor and write your first post?

It doesn’t sound right and neither does your description of Agoda processes.

Which hotel is this?

Edited: 25 April 2018, 09:04
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,970 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agoda mis-selling

Crewe is not a city!

Where exactly are you and what hotel!?

Mentioned in this post
Crewe
Crewe
Cheshire, UK
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agoda mis-selling

Whatever the denomination you wish to bestow on the conglomeration of buildings for commerce and habitation that is Crewe seems a little redundant here, don’t you think?

However, I am in Crewe and the hotel was Wychwood Park.

Mentioned in this post
Crewe
Crewe
Cheshire, UK
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
1,041 Reviews
Weston, UK
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agoda mis-selling

Why wouldn’t I? I’m in my car with little else to do and my blood is boiling so I can’t sleep.

All I can testify to is what I experienced. I am blissfully inexperienced in how Agoda normally operate as I have never booked with them before and I can assure you I never will again.

The hotel was Wychwood Park on the outskirts of Crewe.

Edited: 25 April 2018, 16:50
Mentioned in this post
Wychwood Park Hotel
Wychwood Park Hotel
1,041 Reviews
Weston, UK
Crewe
Crewe
Cheshire, UK
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agoda mis-selling

Whenever I book a hotel through a third party or agent. I always check with the hotel directly that my booking has gone through.

FYI it's hardly likely to be dishonest and need to get trading standards involved. Check the small print and see what you agreed to before ranting on.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agoda mis-selling

Agoda are well known for this. I never use them. They use bait and switch i.e. as you say sell you something that does not exist and they have no booking with the hotel.

Just to correct you Trip Advisor have not aligned themselves with Agoda no more than they have with Expedia. they just provide a platform to search multiple sites at once. It is up to you who you book with

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
6,913 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agoda mis-selling

~"So, at 1am in a strange city and with no bed, your first reaction is to join Tripadvisor and write your first post?"~

First post maybe but she joined in 2009

She was genuinely trying to make a booking and if as RonaldoC states it's happened before,maybe a little sympathy at her plight rather than shooting her down in flames.

Who hasn't made a mistake when travelling????????

Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Agoda mis-selling

"Crewe is not a city!" That is so petty.

Mentioned in this post
Crewe
Crewe
Cheshire, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Agoda mis-selling

"maybe a little sympathy at her plight rather than shooting her down in flames."

I agree.

Would a tourist really be interested in discussing whether Crewe is a city or town given the circumstances?

Oh well....

Actually did the OP say please?... And thank you? 🙄

Mentioned in this post
Crewe
Crewe
Cheshire, UK
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Agoda mis-selling

TA don't sell rooms, that is through a 3rd party such as agoda, booking.com, expedia etc. I have never found the rooms vis TA any cheaper than going direct to agoda/booking.com etc, usually they are more expensive. If you have a booking confirmation email then take it up with Agoda. Not sure if it's the Hotel or Agoda's fault. I have used Agoda, booking.com and expedia many times without any problems. Yes you can confirm direct with the Hotel, I did that once and it took them so long to find the booking I never bothered anymore and have never had an issue.

Reply to: Agoda mis-selling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crewe