We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Weeks on Bribie

Auckland
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Three Weeks on Bribie

My inlaws have booked a 3 week stay on Bribie Island for July. I`ve heard there isn`t much there. Can anyone tell me if there are shops and what the public transport is like. I`m told they get bored easily so was wondering if this was a wise choice for them.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

if you are into fishing....Golfing....heavy drinking its the place for them.

it is so laid back you cannot stand up straight.

there are very small shopping areas....the average age could well be in the 60s...... and is in reality a retirement island.

I once spent a year there and still have analysis in case I may break down on a visit to play Golf.

But those that are incarcerated there luv-it

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

Unfortunately mausgrass is right, I suggest you learn to fish.

Have a look a www.translink.com.au

This will help get you out of there. I imagine you will need to catch a bus from Bribie to Caboolture railway station and from there you should be able to get to anywhere in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.

Oscar

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Auckland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

Given that they don`t fish or play golf and that analysis sounds expensive I might suggest they give it a miss. Thanks for the heads up mausgrass & Oscar you may have just saved two oldies from a servere case of terminal boredom.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

suggestions are to possibly send them up to Godz Own Oz style.....somewhere on the Sunshine Coast so that they could safely drive about and take forays into areas of interest...... again it is pertinent to list the things they wish to see/participate in.

Mentioned in this post
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Auckland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

They do six weeks on the Sunshine Coast each year and are now bored so wanted to try something different. They don`t drive anymore so would be reliant on public transport. Personally I am a huge fan of the Gold Coast and think that Coolangatta would be great for them, enough to see and do without having to drive. I suspect that cost is also an issue but am equally sure that they would be able to find something affordable.

I think the main aim is to get out of our winter (who could blame them) but they also need some activity around them and choices of places to eat options for shopping for self catering and evening entertainment etc. Gosh the more I think about it Coolangatta is perfect for them with the Twin Towns Club. Don`t suppose you have any ideas on reasonable apartment style accommodation. We have only stayed at Reflections and Twin Towns. Both probably a bit more than they would like to pay for a three week stay.

Mentioned in this post
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Coolangatta
Coolangatta
Gold Coast, Australia
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

Hi sunnydaze4eva,

I suggest you post a new topic on the Gold Coast forum so it will be picked up by people who have more expertise in the area. The chances of them checking a question on Bribie are more remote than Bribie itself.

Oscar

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Auckland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

Thanks Oscar I`m just having a look in there now, the main thing is to steer them away from the Bribie Island idea, or at least reduce the amount of time spent there, what you and Mausgrass have said pretty much confirms what I thought. Once again thanks for your advise.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

I find Mantra at Coolangatta to be good appartments, quite affordable, certainly not as flash or as expensive as Reflections.

Mentioned in this post
Coolangatta
Coolangatta
Gold Coast, Australia
Australia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

We live on Bribie and yes we are just on 60.

There are several good restaurants - Blue Anchorage by the jetty, Indian Brothers and a Thai next door at Bellara shops, the new Golf Club and the Surf Club. There are also some other clubs with not so good food.

The beach's are great, the fishing is not so good, there are 2 golf clubs, plenty of interesting walks, no night life other than what the clubs offer which is all over by midnight on the weekends or earlier during the week. Alcohol is cheap at the local Liqourland shops which are at every shopping centre. There are 4 major supermarkets as well on the island plus smaller stores.

Good place for R&R but bad if you want some action.

Everything is spread around on the island over a 5km by 5km area so getting around is expensive by taxi, long and drawn out by bus, ideal for bikes or walking if you are up to it.

Email me on stevesub at yahoo.com if you want more info.

Stevesub

10. Re: Three Weeks on Bribie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 12:31
Get answers to your questions about Bribie Island
Recent Conversations