We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route - London to Watchet

London
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Best route - London to Watchet

Afternoon all,

Some local opinions please, to anyone who has done the journey recently. We are holidaying in Watchet end July, and I'm weighing up up whether to go M4-M5-A39 or M3-A303-A358.

My head (and AA routeplanner) says the first option is probably the quickest, but I do find the M4 a rather tedious schlep. We'll be coming down on a Friday afternoon, just as schools break up, so I'm expecting fairly hideous traffic either way. Any real showstoppers for option 2? Been a few years since I did the journey.

12 replies to this topic
Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best route - London to Watchet

Further to my last post I drove back to Somerset from Dorking on Friday and used the A303.

It took us 45 minutes to go between the two roundabouts either side of Stonehenge and one wonders how much the closure of the A344 has added to the amount of traffic which now has to pass Stonehenge. One also wonders how many people still think the A344 is open although it's now actually dug up and grassed over!!

As Roman Citizen said earlier you only need an accident on either route and your ETA goes out the window.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,617 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best route - London to Watchet

WaltR the bottle necks can occour because it goes from dual carridgeway to single and back again. Motorists will continue of the dual right up to the joining into one. When there is a lot of traffic as there was when I was on there last week the long slow queues at the roundabouts in the heat it gets annoying for people trying to push in all at one point rather than filter into the line earlier.

I'm sure traveling early or later in the day would make a huge difference.

Reply to: Best route - London to Watchet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Watchet
Recent Conversations