We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

I can't find anything on the internet or the news, but I am watching what appears to be a search effort in the waters in front of the hotel I'm staying in (Land's End).

I see a cutter/tugboat style ship with red/orange markings (can't read anything "official" on it) and two jet skis/skidoo type vehicles plus a rubber raft, all bright red/orange, and men on the boat in red or orange and yellow safety vests. They appear to be circling and searching the waters.

Any word from the locals what is going on?

and so this is travel related.... Is there anything about the water other than the cold temperatures we should be wary of, like undertows, rocks, etc? I didn't see anyone in the water here, but I did see quite a few folks in the water today at Seaside.

Edited: 18 May 2011, 10:55
Washington State
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

Now there is a helicopter, same markings. Boat has moved on, jet skis came in to shore, as did the raft. Sun just went down, so they probably can't see anymore. Wonder what happened.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

Sounds like the Coast Guard doing their remarkable work. It might be, I hope it is, a training exercise.

Sneaker waves - they literally can sneak up on you and pull you seaward.

Logs - ocean waves can pick up logs like toothpicks, and they can strike the unwary. Logs are slippery to walk on.

The folks in the water at Seaside must have very thick skin, or they are high, or they are just dabbling. It's cold water. In short, OR, and WA, beaches are not what I'd call your everyday swimming beaches.

Here's a list of recent rescues...

www.google.com/webhp…

Edited: 18 May 2011, 11:48
3. Re: Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 11:55
Edited: 18 May 2011, 11:55
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,362 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

The Coast Guard often conducts training exercises at various places along the coast :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

During the summertime you will usually see children splashing in the water. They have thick skins.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

True!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

I also think there is a good chance it was a training exercize for the coast guard.

Most of us who live here don't go swimming in the ocean off the coast of Oregon. Not only is it very cold all year around, there is a strong undertow. I roll up my pants and wade in a bit but that is about the extent of my exposure to our waters unless I am diving in a full wet suit with hood and booties diving for tasty dungeness crab.

8. Re: Search effort in waters off Cannon Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 19:17