We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
12 reviews
Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

Hello All! This is my first time on the Oregon forum and I do not have lots of time to research.

I will be visiting my daughter and family this weekend and we are planning on driving from Portland to the competition.

Her DH remembers a restaurant called Moe's from his youth and wants to go there for dinner.... My DD has heard it is not a good place to go.

We are myself, DD and SIL and two small children. We want a budget friendly fish meal. If Moe's is not the place, why not? And are there any other places that would be better?

TIA

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

Sorry, spelled Mo's

Level Contributor
39,292 posts
1,019 reviews
2. Re: Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

We like Mo's, they have good food and the views of Haystack Rock are really pretty there. It's a perfect place for chlldren, very casual. If you do want something a little more upscale, consider The Wayfarer, they have recently remodeled and you will also have oceanviews there. Have fun! :)

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

Thanks Syrah,

I recognize your name and see you on the Maui forums frequently.

The reviews are 50/50 as far as Mo's, some say the food is not so good but the ambiance and view sound perfect for us.

Anyone else have any input?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

Mo's does have good views, and has been around for years. That said, I don't think the food is good at all. It is super casual and inexpensive, so it draws a lot of people, and is very family friendly. A lot of people who move away like to go back since it is something they are familiar with, so nostalgia and all that. Which is fine, but just keep in mind what it is.

The Wayfarer is good, but definitely NOT budget friendly.

Ecola Seafood is a market as well as a casual restaurant, and is not expensive. You can eat there or take it to go for a picnic on the beach if it is warm enough.

Mo's sounds like it is fine for what you are looking for, but like I said, keep in mind that you don't go there for the food really. With little ones and groups, it works well:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

The thing about Mo's is that it's almost always crowded, and I don't think they take reservations, so I'd expect with the Sand Castle contest going on, it'll be slammed this weekend. Expect to wait. On the other hand, Wayfarer takes reservations. Check out their menus. As Mtngrl said, not particularly budget friendly, but they do have a kids menu.

Thinking about seafood, the only other place that comes to mind that hasn't been mentioned is Dooger's. I haven't been there in years, so looked at the reviews here on TA, and was quickly reminded why.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

Made it to Mo's and it was perfect for what we were looking for. View was fantastic, ambiance was perfect for a family with a loud 2 year old (us) and the food was good, not upscale but good. Two of us that do not like fish ordered fish and chips and clam chowder and neither were "fishy" and both very enjoyable. The snickers pie was AMAZING!

7. Re: Sand Castle Competition, dinner afterwards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 13:18