We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to Cannon Beach in early December

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best route to Cannon Beach in early December

We are driving down to Cannon Beach December 9. Our favorite route is usually thru Longview to Astoria and then south. We are concerned if it is slick or even snowing that Highway 30 may get difficult at the summits and dicey on some of the really steep descents. Is going 26 through Portland any better, or does it have the same concerns?

We are also concerned with flooding. When we left Cannon Beach last year we were on of the last cars that made it through the flooding just south of Seaside before the junction to 26. If there is flooding, is 26 a better route or do you run into it there too? While we really don't want to drive through Portland if necessary, we will if 26 is a much better route in winter.

Thanks.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to Cannon Beach in early December

Hwy 26 is more difficult to manuver in bad weather than hwy 30 IMO. The summit is higher and there are far more "ups and downs" (think rollercoaster). If I had to choose, I'd stick with hwy 30.

If it is going to flood anywhere on hwy 101, Beerman Creek at the south edge of Seaside is the first place it will, so yes, in this instance, taking hwy 26 would be an advantage. However, unless there is sever flooding, it usually only floods for 3-4 hrs near high tide.

Please save this website and check it often just before and during your trip if possible:

www.tripcheck.com

Edited: 01 December 2011, 23:39
Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to Cannon Beach in early December

Thanks Degay! That is exactly what I needed!

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to Cannon Beach in early December

Sorry, I meant Dengay.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to Cannon Beach in early December

Agree with Dengay 26 vs 30, but you could head to Hoquiam from Olympia and south on 101

5. Re: Best route to Cannon Beach in early December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:42