We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

After reading lots of reviews and ratings, I have narrowed it down to 3 Oregon State Parks to try on our way down to California. We want to stay for 3 nights, and they would be William Tugman SP, Sunset Bay, or Cape Blanco SP. We will be going in April, so we know the weather will not be the greatest. Of these 3, which one is the nicest? We prefer a site that is somewhat private, can easily accomodate our 33' travel trailer, isn't muddy during the spring, a playground is a plus, but not necessary. Coos Bay vs Port Orford? I heard Port Orford is much nicer? Is that true? We have 3 and 5 old girls that will be with us. Maybe a nearby attraction to one of the parks? Would Eel Lake be boring for kids if it's too cold to play in the water? Going back and forth on lake vs ocean. We usually go to Cape Lookout in April, so we are used to the coast during the rain, and always have a good time. Any opinions would be great! In the event that we decide to bring our two golden retrievers, do any of these 3 parks have less busy beaches/water areas for the dogs to play off leash without bothering anyone? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
California
California
United States
Coos Bay
Coos Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

That's really a hard question to answer given your paramenters, but her we go anyway :~)

Wm Tugman (one of the parks I manage) IS a nice park and there is a new playground in the day use area ajcent to Eel Lake and the campground. Problem being, even though it's ajecent to hwy 101, there's just not much going on there. Aside from the playground, there is some hiking, but that's it, so three days would be a stretch.

Cape Blanco is in a similar situation; just not a lot to do for kids in the park and the park is not really close to any towns. It's a VERY prety campground however, much more so than Wm Tugman.

This leaves us with Sunset Bay, which would be my choice. It's a smallish campground like the other two, but between the great day use area and beach, Shore Acres and Cape Arago, there is much more to do. Charleston, an active fishing port, is only two miles from the park entrance as well.

Regarding your Golden's, I'm affraid you'll need to keep them leashed while at Sunset Bay b/c the beach is part of the State park, however just a mile from the State Park is Bastendorf Beach which is a great place to let them run. That is, of course, unless you want to stop and drop them off at Honeyman on your way south so they came play with my Golden LOL!!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,205 posts
1,101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

Hey Den hold on to your hat here - we're going to agree on something, lol! Yes, I'd choose Sunset Bay, given the choices :-)

Re your questions: "Coos Bay vs Port Orford? I heard Port Orford is much nicer?"

Are you thinking about staying there or just visiting for the day, or??

Or are you planning for another stay at another campground or RV park on your way to CA?

Mentioned in this post
Coos Bay
Coos Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

Jeez!! I can't believe the typos in my first post! Oh, for spell check, or better yet, time enough to read my prose b4 I post LOL!!

half-Brit, we agree often, just not all the time.

Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

Thank you for all of the info! As far as Port Orford vs Coos Bay, I guess I was trying to decide between the parks which were in one or the other. We only want to stay at one, but will obviously drive through the others on the way to California at some point. Now I hesitated on Sunset Bay originally because I read a review that said the sights were too small for long trailers. But you all think that my 33' would be able to get in ok? Is anyone familiar enough with this park to recommend a good site, or where in the park is best? I prefer to not be lined up in a row with RV's like cattle. A little brush or trees between sites is definitely preferred. Tons of reviews rave about Cape Blanco. But being as there's not a lot for the kids, would it be sufficient enough just to visit the park as an outing vs staying there? Are there any really neat/fun outings around the area of Sunset Bay that are must sees? Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Coos Bay
Coos Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
California
California
United States
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,205 posts
1,101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

I can't help you with the site size / placement, since I have only driven through there and not stayed. But we met some folks at Seven Feathers RV Park who stay there all the time and they had a 36 footer w/ tow car.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

I would suggest you try a full-hookup site in either D or B loop, with D being preferable (D31, 32 or 33).

I forgot to mention that Susnet Bay was recently voted one of the top 10 family campgrounds in the US by Trailer Life Magazine.

Now, about those Golden's of yours.........LOL!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

LOL! Yes, we love our goldens! Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like I have at least that section of our trip figured out now. And now I've got to continue down to San Diego...

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,205 posts
1,101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

Are you planning a stop in Crescent City?

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

I'm not sure. Should I be stopping in Crescent City? We are traveling down the Cal. coast to San Diego, and then back up to Palm Springs and over to Phoenix. Are there some must stay campground with full hookup along the way? I've heard New Brighton Beach was one. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,205 posts
1,101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV Camping On Southern Oregon Coast

Thought you might enjoy staying on the beach:

www.crescentcity.org/shoreline/SlineRV.html

There is a nice waterfront day-use park where you can walk out on the jetty, a pretty lighthouse, and other interesting attractions there.

Do you have the Trailer Life (Good Sam) book and Woodall's? They have zillions of listings of RV parks & campgrounds. Or try:

http://www.rv-clubs.us/rv_campgrounds.html

CA SP's are probably all full, and many don't have hookups, or very few hookups.

Get answers to your questions about Coos Bay