We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oregon in october??????

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
oregon in october??????

Now i can imagine that its fairly chilly at night, but i am going to ride a motorcycle from l.a. up to seattle and i am wondering is it going to be freezing in the daytime when i ride. this is the only time i am alloted to take my vacation this year and this is the part of the world i would like to see. i am from miami so any drop in the mercury would be somewhat welcome. anybody do this trip and how much rain can i expect. i will be well covered. thanks for any information.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oregon in october??????

Keep checking www.tripcheck.com

for updated weather and road conditions in Oregon.

This is a somewhat unpredictable time and a lot will depend on when you'll be travelling. The snow levels are BELOW pass levels tonight and tomorrow night. That means down to 2500-3500 ft.

I just looked at tripcheck and it has freeze warnings up for Sexton Summit just north of Grants Pass and snow alerts for the Siskiyous south of Ashland. Daytime temperatures and weather should be better than night conditions, but there could still be spots of black ice, especially on bridges, overpasses and shaded areas. Hope you're leaving enough time for the long ride from L.A. to Seattle, so you can enjoy the scenery and be safe.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oregon in october??????

I agree with oregonpoppa... tripcheck is a great resource and definitely watch the curves, especially early in the day.

Other than the Siskiyou pass and the Sexton Mtn. pass most of the I-5 corridor is pretty temperate. Tends to get more rain than snow.

Have a great trip.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: oregon in october??????

You can avoid most of the possibility of snow and ice by taking a coastal route, but there's no way to avoid the rain. And here in western Oregon, we're just at the front edge of the annual six months of grey gloom, when it could rain any, or every day.

Sounds like a great trip, really. But if you see yourself only making it to this part of the country once, I suggest you delay it until you can do it when you've got a better chance for decent weather.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oregon in october??????

I, too, ask "Why here, now?" I'd hit the Grand Circle, S. Utah, enjoy those national and state parks. Better weather, great scenery.

Oregon
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: oregon in october??????

Unfortumately it turned cold here early this year in Southern Oregon. We dropped below freezing last night & it is expected to do so again tonight. The days have been clear but chilly - 55 degrees at 4PM and likely close to the high for the day. By the middle of next week it is expected to warm up. The Mt. passes from Cal into OR and in Southern Oregon will be fine at that time. After next week, it's anyone's guess. And keep in mind that Northern Oregon & Washington always offer the chance for wetter weather than So Oregon.

I vote for Utah, too.

6. Re: oregon in october??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Coos Bay
More Coos Bay Topics