We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon

Decatur
4 posts
Save Topic
Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon

I am traveling from Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon.

What are the "must sees" between these two spots and should I stay a night somewhere in between???

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Oregon
Oregon
United States
6 replies to this topic
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon

Malin?? must know people there.

What time of year? Crater Lake is sort of on way. Oregon south coast brookings to Port Orford a must see, but really not on way to Malin from CC. then maybe your trip plan to CC takes you there. you must have some other trip plan to be in CC.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,358 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor - interesting choice of destinations ;-)

Total driving time would be about 5 hours or so, going Hwy 199 -> I-5 -> Hwy 140 -> Hwy 39 south then over to Malin.

You could take the highway from Grants Pass that goes through Applegate and Ruch and see Jackson, an historic town. There is a tiny ghost town nearby called Buncom. All that would add at least two hours or maybe more.

You could add Crater Lake, but that would require an overnight somewhere. There are the Oregon Caves along Hwy 199 near Cave Junction, but that too would mean adding a night. The old historic wagon road Hwy 66 (no, not "the" route 66) , is a pretty drive - it leaves I-5 just south of Ashland and goes to KFalls. It too would add time and if you're making this trip now, there may be snow.

What kinds of things are you interested in?

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Decatur
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon

We are traveling from San Fran to Mendocino for a week of riding. Then we are headed to Malin to see family. Would we be better off cutting in land from Mendocino to head to Malin?? I guess I was just intrigued by the coast but we don't have to go that way.

Our trip isn't until the first of June but I want to make sure I have all of our lodging reserved before the summer season starts.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Mentioned in this post
Mendocino
Mendocino
Mendocino County, CA
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon

You could turh inlan at Arcata and go to Redding and north from there, but I think you have picked the right way Crescent City, Grants Pass. and whatever way to K Falls and then malin. halfbrit has some good ideas for you as alternate. Jacksonville is a good visit.

You likely could get to at east south rim in Crater Lake in June.

Mentioned in this post
Arcata
Arcata
Humboldt County, CA
Redding
Redding
California
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon

Drop east from my message I meant south rim. think I meant easy

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,358 posts
1,104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon

Hmmm, you'd take Hwy 20 inland to Willits, which is an okay road but not real fast, then you'd have to dip south to take Hwy 20 across to I-5. We just drove that stretch in Feb and it's a good road but it's slow going through Clearlake. Then north on I-5 and then Hwy 97.

You can check on www.mapquest.com for times for that route but I think it would take longer timewise. I-5 is pretty scenic north of about Redding / Red Bluff area, but south of that it's deadly dull and flat.

It will be *hot* along I-5.

Mentioned in this post
Redding
Redding
California
Reply to: Crescent City, CA to Malin, Oregon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grants Pass