We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

Level Contributor
24 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

Day 5 of trip... Wed 6/13/12 ...Crescent City to Grants Pass

Plan on taking 199N out of Crescent City to Grants Pass and spending the night there.. Trip 140 mi Drive time 3 hrs

Question: Is there anything to stop,see or do on Hwy 199 N to Grants Pass?

Is Grants Pass worth spending a night @ ? Does anybody know anything about the following motels: Motel Del Rogue...Buona Sera Inn or Redwood Motel

If it turns out that Hwy 199 N hasn't much to offer we could continue on too Prospect which I believe is only another 65 miles or 1.15 hrs.

There seems to be a fun Hotel/Motel in Prospect called "The Prospect Historic Hotel/Motel" which gets us closer to our objective of Crater Lake Nat. Park. Any suggestions or recommendations

Question Is Klamath Falls worth the extra 100 miles and 21/2 hr drive?

Whether we stay in Grants Pass,Prospect or Ruch we plan on day 6 Thur. 6/14/12 to visit Crater National Park.

Thanks for suggestions, help or tips

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Motel Del Rogue
Motel Del Rogue
185 Reviews
Grants Pass, OR
Buona Sera Inn
Buona Sera Inn
440 Reviews
Grants Pass, OR
8 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

Seems you've altered your itinerary and I like the flow better now. My first comment relates to the #199 link between Crescent City and Grants Pass. It's under 100 miles and less than a 2-hour drive if you don't stop anywhere. That would make the drive to Prospect an easy matter for day 5. I haven't stayed at the Prospect Hotel, but members of the Obsidians outdoor group stay there every year on their Crater Lake trip and they love it, especially the community dinners each evening.Be sure you have reservations.

Between Crescent City and Grants Pass are a couple of things to see: Jedidiah Smith State Park has a beautiful redwood grove. If you've already seen a lot of big redwoods, you can just enjoy the drive through the area. Oregon Caves National Monument would make for a more time consuming, but possibly worthwhile short sidetrip out of Cave Junction.

http://www.nps.gov/orca/index.htm

If it's only for an overnight stay, I'd go on to the Prospect Hotel rather than just stay in a Grants Pass motel. If you were staying longer, you might want to take the jetboat ride on the Rogue (if you didn't do it from the other end in Gold Beach). As you say, the Prospect gives you easier and quicker entry to Crater Lake the next day and, besides, is a whole different experience than a standard motel.

http://www.prospecthotel.com/

You don't say where you'll be going after Crater Lake, but whether it's toward Bend or via Diamond Lake and the #139 Umpqua scenic drive to Roseburg, I see no reason to go to Klamath Falls (by the way, there are no falls in Klamath Falls, if that was your interest).

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Oregon Caves National Monument
Oregon Caves National...
529 Reviews
Cave Junction, OR
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Diamond Lake
Diamond Lake
95 Reviews
Medford, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

Thanks for your quick reply..I will take you advise and stay in Prospect and stop @ those places you suggested along 199N..

Thur 6/14/12 we planned to visit Crater Lake Nat. Park but have discovered that it probably won't even be open by above date...

That has us open and in the air so YES we will then head off on Hwy 230N to 138W staying in Roseburg Thur night..

Drive Friday 6/15/12 to Portland [any suggestions of stops or sights?]

Saturday 6/16/12 see Portland even if we diidn't intend too..

Sunday Fly home

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

You should be able to get in Crater Lake from south, but north entrance may not be open. And pretty sure east rim would not be open. normally. If you stay in Prospect can get all the info there about what is open i would guess.

Stop at Natural Bridge and Rogue Gorge near Union Creek. you will go right by them.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 04:50
Mentioned in this post
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,174 posts
1,100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

>> Trip 140 mi Drive time 3 hrs <<

Hmmm, I'm thinking there'se something wrong here? Crescent City to Grants Pass straight drive time takes us about 2 hours (maybe plus) when we are towing a trailer - so in a car it will be faster a bit than that.

Ah, just double checked Mapquest. They say 83 miles, 1 hour 51 minutes.

There is the Great Cats Park near Cave Junction. We always seem to miss the opening times/days, so have never been inside but I'll get there someday :-)

http://greatcatsworldpark.com/cmsj/

>> Question Is Klamath Falls worth the extra 100 miles and 21/2 hr drive? <<

Honestly . . . no. The lake is big, and it's kind of cool because you can drive right on the edge of it, but there are no "falls". I don't dislike KFalls but if you are on a tight time frame, skip it, IMO.

Crater Lake is "open" all year, but yes in June there will still be snow and only the southern entrance/exit is open.

craterlakelodges.com/press-room-247056252-81…

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
24 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

Thanks for reply.. adjusted drive time..you are right

I have now received two confirmations that Crater Lake Southern entrance is open so I will drive from Crescent City CA to Prospect OR

Also received advise from two people that Klamath Falls not worth the extra effort.. and duly noted that there are NO FALLS in Klamath..

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
24 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

Thanks..planned to stop at Rogue Gorge but have not heard about Natural Bridge.. is it near Union Creek? What Hwy or road gets me to Natural Bridge? off of 62N

Are there more than one rim roads @ Crater? East Rim-West Rim-South Rim-North Rim?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,174 posts
1,100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

LOL, there *used* to be, hence the name ;-)

There is only one rim road - it goes all the way around the lake. This map might help:

planetware.com/map/crater-lake-national-park…

Edited: 29 February 2012, 05:33
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass

I use terms east and west to define which side of loop. and I separate them at the two entrances,

Natural Bridge is a couple of miles south of Union Creek on 62. well signed.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 07:04
Reply to: Hwy 199 North to Grants Pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grants Pass