We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

Houston
Level Contributor
104 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

Hi! My family (with 13 and 9 year olds) will be in Oregon in March. I know it's not the best month for weather, but it's our Spring Break. We'd like to spend 3 nights in either Cannon Beach or Newport. Kids like to go tide pooling, shelling and hiking, but it would also be nice to have some indoor activity options in case it storms when we are there. Do you think Cannon Beach or Newport would make a better base? (Sounds like beaches might be a little better in Cannon Beach, but more indoor options in Newport).

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
12 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

No, both are better in Newport. Cannon Beach is more upscale, better known and pricier. Newport has more of everything else.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

Beaches and hiking I think a bit better in Cannon Beach. Access to beaches is so easy from everywhere in town, walkable from any hotel. Many places to hike beside the beach, Ecola State Park, Short Sands(Oswald State Park), etc.

Tidepools at Haystack Rock.

Newport might be better for kids. More inside things to do like down on the bay waterfront.

Consider Seaside for kid/teen scene.

Better book soon! Very busy time for families.

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Ecola State Park
Ecola State Park
1,587 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,286 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

As much as we love Cannon Beach, Newport is probably a better choice with kids at that time of year. As Jes suggested, more things to do, including the Oregon Aquarium. And, as Jes also recommended, reserve soon. The last week of March is spring break for Oregon schools too.

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Colne
Level Contributor
182 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

The Hatfield Marine Science Centre is well worth a visit...lots to see & do.

Houston
Level Contributor
104 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

Thanks for the suggestions! We will actually be traveling the second week of March, so it looks like availability is pretty good right now. I think we can spend one night around Cannon Beach the first night and then spend 3 nights in Newport. If anyone has suggestions for tide pooling around Newport, I'd love to hear them.

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

Visit Yaquina Head Lighthouse at the north end of Newport and their "Outstanding Natural Area" for tidepooling. Very nice visitor information center just as you arrive to help you figure out what to do, where to go, etc.

https:/…lighthouse.php

On the right on that page, under Lighthouse Info, click on Yaquina Head Area Map

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

A half hour south of Newport is Yachats and Cape Perpetua, which has a nice visitor center, great tide pools and exciting blow hole. Be sure to check weather and tide tables wherever you go. The surf can be very dangerous. In fact, a sneaker wave swept away a man and his young son in Coos County just this last week.

That said, Newport is the better choice, especially if the weather is raw and nasty.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

The good thing about Newport is the location -- an easy spot for heading north or south. There are beautiful locations and fun places to poke around both directions. Teens might like a sand dune buggy ride out of Florence; I think there is horseback riding there, too. Moving south to north, Sea Lion Caves is interesting [albeit smelly!]. Heceta Head has a lighthouse that is fun to walk to and visit. There are good agate hunting beaches [Bob Creek, Stonefield]. The whole Cape Perpetua area is beautiful. Seal Rock has good tide pools. Yachats has good restaurants and good wave watching. Newport is fun -- there is Rogue Ale for the parents; the old bayfront is fun to poke around [sea lions, fishing boats, shops]; two lighthouses [Yaquina Head is my favorite]. Nye Beach is fun for shopping and eating. Depoe Bay is a great place to take a whalewatching trip; Boiler Bay is good for spotting whales. Lincoln City is a lonnnnng commercial stretch with an outlet mall if that is your thing.

So much to do!

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Sea Lion Caves
Sea Lion Caves
1,363 Reviews
Florence, OR
Nye Beach
Nye Beach
785 Reviews
Newport, OR
Depoe Bay
Depoe Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

PS: My profile picture is the bridge at Newport. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Houston
Level Contributor
104 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?

Thanks Wahiawakid, oregonpappa and Atticus S-- we're definitely planning to get out and see Yachats and some of the other surrounding areas. This will be our first trip to Oregon and we are all very excited! Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. I'll be printing out the responses to bring with me.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Reply to: Cannon Beach or Newport for a 3 night stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City