We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this possible

Somerset
Level Contributor
459 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is this possible

Hi TAs

I have once again come back to you all to access your vast knowledge. We are currently very much at the planning stage but we have the germ of an idea and thought I would put it past you to see if it had any legs.

As a few of you may know Lyn (my wife) and I have had two amazing holidays in the US – the first being the South West and reported on Trip Advisor as ‘The Trip of a Lifetime” and the second was when we visited New England in the Fall – both amazing holidays

We have recently returned from New Zealand where we had the most incredible three weeks but now we are turning our attention to our next holiday and this time we are planning to holiday with two of our friends.

After an initial chat about where to go we came up with a very loose plan which may or may not be possible and I volunteered to have a chat with my TA friends to see whether our musing were in fact possible.

Ok this was our ‘plan’.

We have decided that we would like to return to the US and in the main we would like to have a fly/drive type of holiday. We love the flexibility of driving ourselves but appreciate that because of the size of the US what we want to achieve may require one or two internal flights.

We were thinking about coming over for the first 3 weeks in September – although this could be flexible.

We would probably want to hire a car and sleep overnight in hotel/motels – maybe trying to spend on average £100 per couple per night – just checked what the conversion rate is and it is about 1.50 dollars to the pound.

So the route – well there are only 3 fixed points to be honest – starting point would be Yellowstone Park – the second fixed point would be Chicago/Lake Michigan and the 3rd fixed point would be Niagara Falls.

So as you can see this trip is really travelling very roughly across the northern states – now this is a long way so the questions are many:

Is it possible at a sensible pace to make this distance in three weeks – given that we would want to spend a few days in Yellowstone and Lake Michigan - I expect the answer is no.

If the answer in no – is it possible to do this trip with a combination of road travel and internal domestic flights or even rail travel.

We have identified Yellowstone, Chicago/Lake Michigan and Niagara Falls as scenic highlights of this trip – I know there are many more – could you recommend any other scenic highlights that would be must sees on this route.

I’m sure there will be many other questions but it would be very interesting to get your initial reaction as this may put an end to this idea before it has really started.

Any comments would be very much appreciated – I intent to post this request on the following State Forums:

Wyoming

North Dakota

South Dakota

Iowa

Nebraska

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Illinois

Indiana

Ohio

Pennsylvania

New York

Many thanks for your continued help and support

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
1,807 Reviews
Illinois
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Illinois
Illinois
United States
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this possible

May want to post this on the Road Trip forum rather than Harrisburg, your trip won't be going through Harrisburg.

Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this possible

Agree with posting on "Roadtrips" FORUM

Not only won't you be going through Harrisburg, but you will only be cutting through the northwest tip of Pennsylvania

Mentioned in this post
Harrisburg
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Somerset
Level Contributor
459 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this possible

Thanks guys - I have now posted on the 'Road Trip' forum

Somerset
Level Contributor
459 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this possible

Can I just say thank you to so many Trip Advisors who took the time to help me with the planning of this trip. The advice and help provided was incredible and has provided me with so much information that for A while I didn't know where to start. However, I have read and re-read each and every contribution and eventually I began to see a way through.

There were many cases of the same or similar advice being given over and over again and where this I'd practicable I have amended our itinerary. In fact the itinerary I am proposing now is significantly different to one I originally proposed.

I have also been looking at flights and I think from an international point of view it would be best to fly into Denver and fly out of Toronto.

Time constraints have meant that I have had to remove Chicago from the itinerary altogether.

Take a look at the new itinerary - it is still a rough plan and I'm sure there is still plenty of tweaking to do but I have based a lot of the stops on either a great place to be based to see some of the iconic scenery etc in a particular area or I have decided that a particular location is convenient in terms of number of miles to drive in a particular day.

My biggest concern is something that TAs always remind me of and that is, have I built in enough days to just stop and smell the roses - I don't want so much driving that we don't have time to stop and enjoy the incredible scenery that we are driving through. so maybe I ought to build in more stop days but we have to cover the distance - so this is a dilemma - any suggestions would be really welcome.

Also not sure which domestic airlines to use to fly from Denver to Minneapolis - whilst talking about this - is it worth driving back to Denver from Custer to fly to Minneapolis or should I just carry on and drive on to Minneapolis from Custer?

Anyone have any ideas re best UK airlines that fly into Denver but out of Toronto.

Similarly, anyone help with best car hire company that we could use where we can pick it up at Denver ( or Minneapolis) and drop it off at Toronto?

Sorry for a whole host of new questions.

New and revised itinerary is as follows:-

Day 1 - Fly into Denver

Day 2 - Drive from Denver to Casper - 277 miles - 4 hours

Day 3 - Drive from Casper to Jackson - 280 miles - 5 hours

Day 4 - Day in the Grand Tetons

Day 5 - Drive from Jackson to Yellowstone - 80 miles - 1.75 hrs

Day 6 - Day in Yellowstone

Day 7 - Day in Yellowstone

Day 8 - Drive from Yellowstone to Cody - 100 miles - 2 hrs

Day 9 - Drive from Cody to Hulett - 319 miles - 5 hrs

Day 10 - Drive Hulett to Custer - 117 miles - 2 hrs

Day 11 - Day in and around Hulett

Day 12 - Drive from Custer to Guernsey - 158 miles - 2.5 hrs

Day 13 - Drive from Guernsey to Denver - 198 miles - 3 hrs

Day 14 - Fly to Minneapolis

Day 15 - Drive from Minneapolis to Duluth - 154 miles - 2.25 miles

Day 16 - Drive from Duluth to Thunder Bay - 190 miles - 3.50 hrs

Day 17 - Drive from Thunder Bay to Marathon - 187 miles - 3.50 hrs

Day 18 - Drive from Marathon to Sault Ste Marie - 255 miles - 5 hrs

Day 19 - Drive from Sault Ste Marie to Grundy Lake - 234 miles - 4.25 hours

Day 20 - Drive from Grundy Lake to Toronto - 192 miles - 3 hrs

Day 21 - drive to Niagara Falls and return to Toronto - 160 miles round trip - 3 hrs.

Day 22 - Fly home from Toronto

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Duluth
Duluth
Minnesota
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay
Thunder Bay District, Canada
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Sault Ste. Marie
Sault Ste. Marie
Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
275 posts
488 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this possible

Sounds like a nice holiday for you. However, while you anticipate spending approximately 2 weeks in the West (at state parks and lots of mountains) and flying out to Minnesota, why not fly to Chicago and go from there? It's a big city, we have the busiest International airport, and it's right by Lake Michigan. It's not New York City, but we have lots to offer and after spending maybe 2 days there, drive 4 hours to Michigan (Grand Haven, etc.) or drive the opposite way to upper Wisconsin (Door County). Very pretty, not unlike the East Coast-Cape Cod area. If you drive to Grand Haven, MI (right on the Lake Michigan - across the lake from Chicago area), it is a 6 hour drive up to Toronto where you can do the rest of your trip. I am also surprised that you want to spend all of that time seeing more mountains after you visited New Zealand. In my opinion, New Zealand's South Island, in particular, has mountains and beauty that cannot be matched in the USA. Sorry, I was spoiled after my visit there years ago. Now, if you would rather do a Western-themed vacation, might I suggest flying from Denver straight to South Dakota and visiting Mt. Rushmore? Unless you want to do the Canada thing too. Also, bear in mind, unlike Europe where flights from country to country are relatively reasonable, they can be pretty costly here in the States, unless you are coming and going to a very popular area. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Lake Michigan
Lake Michigan
1,807 Reviews
Illinois
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Grand Haven
Grand Haven
Ottawa County, MI
Wisconsin
Wisconsin
United States
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
United States
United States
North America
Denver
Denver
Colorado
6. Re: Is this possible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 12:16