We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster County in July

Buffalo Grove...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster County in July

I am visiting my son and daughter-in-law in mid-July. I will be arriving at Harrisburg Airport on a Thursday. Kids will be coming from State College to pick me up on Saturday so I will have a day and a half (2 nights) on my own in Harrisburg. I've started looking at hotels. My budget was going to be up to $150 a night but I may be able to go up to $200. I'm looking to stay someplace that has some things within walking distance. I'm interested in any of the following: restaurants, shopping,historical buildings/museums or nice area to walk around and enjoy the weather.

Question for second part of trip-Lancaster County-Is there a B&B, in the $100-$150 range, that would have a room for 3 people?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,134 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster County in July

As to your Lancaster County question

I would post on the Lancaster forum There is a frequent poster June Jones who is a B and B expert

There is a good B and B website for Lancaster County www.authenticbandb.com that lets you compare Band B''S

We normally stay with my parents when we return to Lancaster county so my lodging experience is limited. We have stayed twice at Apple Bin Inn and I can reccomed it without reservation. Their Braeburn cottage would meet your needs, but would be substantially over your budget.

As to the Harrisburg part of your trip my own opinion is that a day and a half in Harrisburg is about a day too long. If you could get to Hershey there would be many things to occupy your time, but there is no good public transportation assuming you do not have a car.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster County in July

Without a car, you will probably want to stay in downtown Harrisburg. The Hilton Harrisburg, 1 N. 2nd Street is in the heart of the city. The PA state capitol building, PA State Museum, and the Whitaker Center for Science and Arts (Sunoco Performance Theater, IMAX Theater, & Harsco Science Center) are all within walking distance. There are many restaurants on Second Street, known as restaurant row. Shopping is limited in downtown Harrisburg. There are a few stores in Strawberry Square and along the streets in downtown. If the weather is nice, you could walk over the Walnut Street bridge and enjoy City Island. If you enjoy baseball and the Harrisburg Senators are in town, you can watch a game.

Buffalo Grove...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster County in July

Thank you brookquarry and FlyEagle for the help. I will post to Lancaster board and check out the website recommended. Staying in downtown is looking like my best option, so thanks for suggesting the Hilton and all the great activities within walking distance.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
8 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster County in July

PLEASE visit the Capital and take the free tour. It is without a doubt the most beautiful state capital in the US. It rivals the federal capital building. But you have to take the tour and then walk around on your own and explore, Im amazed everyday when I look at it and try to learn something new each time. As for the rest, the above poster told you about all the great things to do and I would concur. Hershey is also pretty cool.

5. Re: Trip to Harrisburg, PA and Lancaster County in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 13:18