We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for trip to Convention at Farm Show Complex

Hiawatha, Kansas
1 post
Save Topic
Questions for trip to Convention at Farm Show Complex

A youth group is coming to the ARBA Convention to be at the Farm Show Complex. Are there any accomadations in walking distance? Are there any extended stay type(weekly rates) of establishments with kitchens? If there an active 4-H group in the area? Is there an active Homeschool group in the area?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for trip to Convention at Farm Show Complex

The only hotel within walking distancce is the STAYBRIDGE Harrisburg, ,immediately to the west of the Arena, accross the parking lot.

We have stayed there for one night several times while attending a two day quilt show at the arena. I would reccomend it.

I believe all their rooms/suites have kitchens. Not sure about weekly rates. No restaurant on site or within walking distance, but they have a good free breakfast and(I believe) some simple dinners during the week(We have always stayed Friday night, when no evening meal is available)

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for trip to Convention at Farm Show Complex

By the way, the Staybridge allows pets. I would assume this includes rabbits, but you should probably check.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for trip to Convention at Farm Show Complex

The 4H Club in Dauphin County is located at 1451 Peters Mountain Road, Dauphin, PA - phone is 717-921-8803. I think it is an active club, my neighbor belonged at one time.

http://extension.psu.edu/4-h/counties/dauphin

I found the following links for homeschool groups in the Harrisburg (Dauphin County) area. I don't know anything about them personally.

pahomeschoolers.com/supportgroups/…20COUNTY

https://www.homeschool-life.com/pa/hahaofpa/

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for trip to Convention at Farm Show Complex

One word of caution ... while the Staybridge is a nice hotel and safe, there is nothing really within walking distance other than the Farm Show in terms of things to do. The HACC campus is across the street, but unless you're a student there, not much to keep one busy. Otherwise this borders an industrial area to the north, train tracks on west, highway on the east, and an area to the south of the Farm Show that's combination industrial and residential (although I wouldn't necessarily advise strolling around after dark in particular section of town as there are quite a few boarded up structures, etc.)

If you're hoping for nearby food or other activities, you may want to consider a different location and just drive over to the Farm Show. The area near Progress Ave and I-81 seems to be popular with folks attending things at the Farm Show as it's near a few food places and there's a strip mall and movie theater within close driving proximity.

5. Re: Questions for trip to Convention at Farm Show Complex

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 13:19
Get answers to your questions about Harrisburg