We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel North of Farm Complex

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel North of Farm Complex

Looking for a nice place to stay for one night. Coming on I81, from the North to a show at the Farm Complex. After the show, would like to find a hotel/Inn somewhere near 81 North. Chain would be ok if nothing else available, but would prefer local owned property. Even a few miles north of Harrisburg would be fine. Four sisters traveling together, would like someplace near hotel/Inn for dinner maybe even nightly entertainment/show, movie theater nearby in a nice neighborhood?

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel North of Farm Complex

There is a Spring Hill Suites and a Hampton Inn & Suites just north of the Cameron Street exit (Farm Show) off the Progress Avenue exit of I81. This is a nice, safe area with services, shops, and restaurants nearby. The Regal Cinema is located very close to this area. Most of the restaurants in this area are chains - Macaroni Grill, Fox & Hound, Cracker Barrel, and near the Colonial Park Mall/route 22 corridor there is an Applebee's, Red Lobster, Red Robin, and Olive Garden.

There is a Staybridge Suites adjacent to the Farm Show; however, for four women, I would feel better staying in the Progress Avenue area.

Mentioned in this post
Fox and Hound
Fox and Hound
32 Reviews
Harrisburg, PA
Cracker Barrel
Cracker Barrel
218 Reviews
Harrisburg, PA
Colonial Park Mall
Colonial Park Mall
1 Review
Harrisburg, PA
Red Lobster
Red Lobster
87 Reviews
Harrisburg, PA
Olive Garden
Olive Garden
143 Reviews
Harrisburg, PA
Staybridge Suites Harrisburg
Staybridge Suites...
445 Reviews
Harrisburg, PA
York, PA
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel North of Farm Complex

The Hampton Inn & Suites is quite new-it opened in late June 2012. There are many restaurants about a 5 minute drive from the hotel, as well as the Colonial Park Mall.

Mentioned in this post
Colonial Park Mall
Colonial Park Mall
1 Review
Harrisburg, PA
Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel North of Farm Complex

Thanks so much for the hotel info. Now, for shopping . . . . would love to take in a few "quaint little shops" without having to travel South into Lancaster. Might we find any of these somewhere close to I-81 on our trip home (North)? Suppose we could even travel East on 78 before heading North if that would help find us a small town with locally owned shoppes (Amish area)? Any recommendations?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel North of Farm Complex

No Amish on 78. However, if you want a good Non Amish PA Dutch Butcher shop try Dietrichs in Krumsville, just off 78 www.dietrichsmeats.com Bethlehem, further east is a nice small city with nice shops in its downtown and historic Moravian Architecture.

Mentioned in this post
Bethlehem
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
986 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel North of Farm Complex

If you are willing to go far enough east, here's a possible tour for you, assuming you are not doing this on a Sunday.

Take 322 E. to 419 E (watch signs carefully) all the way to Schaefferstown. Feel free to explore this very old PA Dutch town if you want. http://www.hsimuseum.org/index.php

If you don't have time, turn north at the light/intersection with Rt. 501. On your left you will see what looks like a typical strip mall. However, Good's and Dutchway are both Mennonite owned and contain many of those items that you can no longer find anywhere else. There are often Amish buggies parked in the parking lot. Inside Dutchway there is also a little breakfast/lunch counter type restaurant. Filled with locals, even if you don't fill your belly, you'll get an ear full of the unique Schaefferstown accent!

Continue slowly up 501 through true Amish and Mennonite farm country. Keep your eyes peeled because just north of Zimmerman's Nursery you should see a small sign for Fisher's Country Store (or something like that.) Anyway, it is on the right hand side and down a farm lane and is a true Amish store. My husband went there to buy himself a real Amish straw hat. He says it's the best thing for lawn mowing to keep the sun off.

Further north at a crossroads known as Reistville, there is a craft and furniture store on the left. I've actually never been in, but the things you see outside look like what I've seen at most other PA Dutch craft and furniture type places. My mother was fussy about such places and gave it decent praise.

Another 2 miles ahead and again on the left is Hornings Roadside Market. I remember when it was just a farm stand when I was a child. Now they have a nice big store but still stock local produce when in season. What you find may depend on when your trip is.

You will continue on to Myerstown, which is cute, but since the closing of Bahney's doesn't have a whole lot to offer. At the intersection of 501 and 422, you'll see Kum Esse (PA Dutch for 'Come Eat'). It is a classic PA Dutch area diner, but I don't know if it is anything really special. My mother's best friend growing up lived across the street so she's been eating there forever, but I've never known her to get anything but a burger. My grandfather swore by their chicken croquettes. That's some Dutchy food and the dish they are best known for, but not really my thing. Past Myerstown, you won't see food for a while on your journey, so keep that in mind. You can follow 501 north on to I-78 and go to Deitrich's if you desire. Or, you can keeping winding around (remember, watch those roadsigns!!) on 501 until you get to I-81.

Mentioned in this post
Schaefferstown
Schaefferstown
Pennsylvania
Myerstown
Myerstown
Pennsylvania
Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel North of Farm Complex

Just the kind of info we were looking for. Thanks so much!!

7. Re: Hotel North of Farm Complex

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Harrisburg