We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hershey Swap Meet, October.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
Hershey Swap Meet, October.
Save

Me and my wife are going to the Hershey Swap meet in October. This will be our first time in the area. Any recommendations on places to eat, or things to see that time of the year?

Also my wife has mentioned going to Amish country since we will get there a couple of days early. Any recommendations on where to go and do there?

We will have a car.

5 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
169 reviews
74 helpful votes
1. Re: Hershey Swap Meet, October.
Save

Places of interest in Hershey would be the Hershey Trolley Works tour, Hershey's Chocolate World, the Hershey Gardens, The Hershey Story (museum), and the Antique Auto Museum.

There are several wineries and craft breweries in the area, let me know if you want more information on those.

For breakfast, I like the Hershey Pantry. If the weather is still nice, have breakfast on their patio. Duck Donuts is good for a sweet breakfast. For lunch/dinner there is First Watch (only open for breakfast & lunch), Piazza Sorrento, Isaac's Deli, Smoked, The Englewood (has live music most nights if you eat in the Listening Room), Chocolate Avenue Grill, Lisa's Cafe, and the Warwick Hotel. The Soda Jerk has a neat retro 50's diner vibe.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
169 reviews
74 helpful votes
2. Re: Hershey Swap Meet, October.
Save

In Lancaster, if you want a good tour of the area, check out the tour from the Mennonite Information Center. The guides are of the Amish or Mennonite culture. You can also personalize your tour to include 3 stops of interest.

https://mennoinfocenter.org/guided-tours/

Other good spots to check out are Root's Market in Manheim (only open on Tuesday) and Green Dragon Market in Ephrata (only open on Friday). If you enjoy history, I'd recommend the Ephrata Cloister tour and Landis Valley Farm Museum.

For a touch of Amish, visit Countryside Road Stand in Ronks. It's Amish owned/operated and has crafts, homemade baked goods and delicious homemade soft ice cream, soft pretzels, root beer & birch beer. Katie's Kitchen in Ronks is a good place to eat for a taste of local flavors, it is Amish owned/operated. Dienner's Country Restaurant is also very good. Lapp Valley Farms ice cream is good.

Many tourists enjoy Kitchen Kettle Village. The main shop is a jam/jelly/sauce paradise - all very good.

The Strasburg Railroad gives you a nice relaxing train ride in the Lancaster county country side.

Lititz is a small, quaint town near Lancaster. Home to Wilbur Chocolate (stop in their store) it also has a variety of shops & restaurants along the main street.

As you plan your trip, be aware that all Amish & Mennonite owned businesses will be closed on Sunday.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
19 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Hershey Swap Meet, October.
Save

In addition to Flyeagle's great recommendations, we like the Mill

https://themillinhershey.com/

For a unique view of Amish farms and countryside, take a ride on a train at Strasburg

https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

There is a not for profit Mennonite center in Lancaster that offers guided tours in your car. I have heard very good things about it. I don't know the name but you will be able to find info on the Lancaster TA forum.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
169 reviews
74 helpful votes
4. Re: Hershey Swap Meet, October.
Save

I attempted to edit my post; however, it would not let me do so. I wanted to add to also check out the Julius Sturgis Pretzel Bakery in Lititz. Enjoy your trip!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: Hershey Swap Meet, October.
Save

Fly eagle and Cleobeach thanks for the info. We will be driving up Monday with plans to tour on Tuesday and some Wednesday. Thursday and Friday will be swap meet time.

Thanks

John

Reply to: Hershey Swap Meet, October.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.