We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danger in San Juan Del Sur?

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Danger in San Juan Del Sur?

Hello fellow travellers!

I'm headed down to Costa Rica in 4 days with my best friend. We had really wanted to check out this beautiful little town, and then I read some reports about violent crime there, and how the police presence in Nicaragua is very scant, so I got a bit scared as a female with my female friend.

I need some honest answers regarding the safety of this place. Should we risk it, or stay away? It seems as though many people visit and are fine.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
Lafayette...
Level Contributor
1 post
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Danger in San Juan Del Sur?

We're in SJDS as I write this. It's a fishing village that has turned into a primary surf stop for the many backpacked travelers making their way through Central America. There must be at least two hundred of them in town right now. Which means that thee are lots of people walking around, and it feels completely safe during daylight hours. Nighttime maybe not so much. Stick together with your friend and you'll likely be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Granada Nicaragua
Level Contributor
963 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Danger in San Juan Del Sur?

Use your head about safety…stay pretty sober (or at east one of you do), keep around people not on a dark street…or even a deserted one in the day.

Doing that and you will have no problem.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Danger in San Juan Del Sur?

There were some problems reported in the nearby beaches in San Juan del Sur but this under control now and because of the big presence of tourists in Nicaragua now there is lots of police presence everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan del Sur
San Juan del Sur
Rivas Department, Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Danger in San Juan Del Sur?

I've been to SJDS twice and thought Tamarindo had more "sketchy" people there

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
5. Re: Danger in San Juan Del Sur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2016, 13:16