We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi prices

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi prices

Hi guys

Can anyone give me guidance on charges? Mainly from the rank by the Ty to Perran sands. Been charged so many different prices in the past and I'm suspicious that some have been a bit inflated (£10 at 11pm on a week day).

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi prices

It depends on which company you used and whether they used a metre. The metred prices are a lot more than the set ones that many companies use for regular journeys.

I've no idea what the price you should have paid would be, but if you used a company why not give them a ring and ask them what they would expect the price to be?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi prices

Thank you. In my home town the prices are roughly the same on Hackney & private hire & the prices are set by the town council within a set range so for say a 5 mile journey on the meter you can expect to pay &1.50 higher or lower between Co's. higher price can only be charged midnight to 6am and a maximum of time and a half except Xmas day where they can charge double time.

I had a particularly dodgy experience a couple of years ago with a driver gesticulating to the driver of our cab that it was DOUBLE TIME NOW AS ITS AFTER 9pm!!

I made it clear i'd be checking with the council the next day, our driver flipped on the meter and we only paid £5 - I didn't check with the council.

We always use metered taxi's when going 'Home'

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi prices

I thought all the taxis in Cornwall were private hire. You can not hale a cab here,you have to either prebook or hire on the taxi rank. You really cant be too careful and it is better to agree a price in advance or use the meter.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi prices

You will find the maximum prices taxis can charge here

cornwall.gov.uk/media/3625282/Hackney-Carria…

This works out quite high, so a lot of taxis don't charge the maximum! Looking at this, my journey in North Cornwall of 3.5 miles would cost around £9.50, whereas the maximum I pay is £6.50 with one firm being considerably less than that.

I think the issue is that Cornwall is expensive for most things, a lot more so than Birmingham.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi prices

Thanks both

I do fully expect the tariff in general to be a bit higher in Cornwall, I found that PDF AC, but was unsure whether it covered Perranporth too or just the city, it reads to me that Monday to Saturday the tariff rises at 7pm, nothing about after 10pm or 11pm as I've previously been told by drivers.

Kernewes, I think any that pick up on the rank are classed as hackney carriages aren't they?? And I have flagged one down just off the rank before, that was the £10 stinger!

I think I'll just make sure we agree the price before hand in future.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi prices

Perranporth would be covered by the Restormel tarrifs

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi prices

It used to be in Carrick. If you Google Cornwall council taxi fares there is a chart giving the various rates and times. In Carrick the higher rate applies from 11pm to 7 am.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,630 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi prices

My bad, I know it was on the edge of them both, went for the wrong one! Scrub what I said and go with Carrick.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi prices

Thanks so much guys.

I do hate to be negative about these things and don't want to be a moaner but it seems we have been taken for a ride, in the figurative sense, in the past then.

Reply to: Taxi prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Perranporth