We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perranporth to St Agnes walk

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
113 reviews
Perranporth to St Agnes walk

Hi there,

We're going to be in Perranporth next week and are looking to have a day without using the car after a long drive there. I've seen mentioned a coast walk from Perranporth to St Agnes, going past old mining relics and along the cliffs, can anyone give me more details on this? I assume it's part of the SW Coast Path. Is it doable in normal shoes or sandals, or is it rough terrain and we should bring walking boots? Also, is it possible to make it circular? Any insight or alternatives welcome! Thanks!

Hove
Level Contributor
235 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Perranporth to St Agnes walk

Hi

There are buses linking Perranporth to St Agnes, facilitating a linear walk. Here's a link to the timetable

www.travelinesw.com/swe/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST

I would recommend walking shoes or boots.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
973 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Perranporth to St Agnes walk

Yes, it is part of the south west coast path, and it's a great walk. Just before you hit St agnes you get to trevaunance cove, which has a nice pub.

You can also walk the other way to Crantock or even to Newquay as the bus service goes along the coast there.

If you want to explore circular walks I would get the local ordnance survey map - there are a few options around there but it's difficult to describe.

If it's dry you can probably get away with trainers but you'll want something sturdier than sandals.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
720 reviews
3. Re: Perranporth to St Agnes walk

I would recommend walking boots, but sturdy trainers would probably do. The early part of the walk from Perranporth the path meanders through a fairly desolate landscape of the old mining areas, dotted with quarries and disused mine workings and the ground underfoot through this section is loose gravel and granite, so definitely not sandals!

I found this section interesting, but not as attractive as many parts of the coast walk, and because of the barren ground the path often becomes indistinct and splits into several smaller trails without any clear indication of which one is the main path (or it did a few years ago - perhaps they have put up more marker posts now).

However, it is a nice walk overall and you will enjoy it.

Just a word of warning if you decide to walk in the other direction towards Newquay. You may not be able to cross the River Gannel on the small footbridge unless it within an hour or two of low tide, which would mean a fair old walk up the river to the main road bridge. So it you go that way I'd plan to finish at Crantock and catch a bus back.

Have a good time.

Edited: 04 August 2016, 01:56
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Perranporth to St Agnes walk

Malabarfly - during the season the Fern Pit cafe runs a little ferry to take people across the Gannel estuary at times of high tide, so it should be able to get across at any time during August and early September at least.

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
113 reviews
5. Re: Perranporth to St Agnes walk

Thanks everyone, great advice!

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
720 reviews
6. Re: Perranporth to St Agnes walk

JohnEW - Thanks for that information. I was unaware of this, probably because I rarely spend any time in Cornwall during June, July and August (and when I did the walk it was well out of season!). However, it's useful to know should I ever need it. Thanks again.

7. Re: Perranporth to St Agnes walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2017, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Perranporth