We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Austell in July/August

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
4 helpful votes
St Austell in July/August

My husband has booked a stay in St Austell for us the last week in July/1st week of August to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Is there anywhere in particular you recommend we visit?

We love independent shops/coffee houses/ pubs, market towns, fishing villages etc.

I'm aware it's the first week of the summer holidays so will probably be very busy everywhere.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

7 replies to this topic
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
35 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: St Austell in July/August

Will you have a car? Cornwall will be very busy so when calculating travelling times add 100% extra to allow for volume of traffic.

St Austell town itself is not really a tourist destination but it is very central for visiting other places. Nearby is Charlestown with its lovely harbour and tall ships. It has featured in the recent Poldark series as well as many films. Fowey, Polperro, Boscastle are good places to visit. St Ives will be very busy but if you choose to go then take the train. A very good restaurant in St Austell is Austell's. I haven't been there for a while but the reviews are still good. There is a good Indian restaurant in the same row.

Truro is the main shopping destination with quite a few independent shops but not so many as in the past.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
13,097 posts
222 reviews
112 helpful votes
2. Re: St Austell in July/August

I've assumed you have a car so...

I like Charlie's in Charlestown for coffee and cake or a light lunch. On street parking outside.

For a really nice afternoon tea I recommend the Rosevine Hotel (a bit further away). You need to book in advance but it's worth it. You can sit outside or in the beautiful lounge. No supper needed afterwards!

My favourite morning coffee venue is the terrace of the Tresanton in St Mawes. And, if you like gardens, I recommend Lamorran nearby. Afterwards you could get the foot ferry to Falmouth for a bit of shopping.

Tell us more about your interests and we'll offer more advice.

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: St Austell in July/August

Thank you - we do have a car although thanks for the advice about driving times, I hadn't even thought about that.

You've both been so helpful!

What's parking like? Is it expensive and difficult to come by on the streets?

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: St Austell in July/August

Parking in the seaside towns can be difficult as the narrow streets preclude on-street parking, there are very few places with metered street parking, almost universal to use a car-park. Expect to pay about £5 day. A complication is that Cornwall Council operates a large number of the car parks, but there is also local town council and private parking, so come with a big bag of coins. Cornwall Council does provide Ringo - pay by phone. From St Austell there is an excellent bus service along St Austell Bay coastline, linking Fowey, Charlestown, Gorran Haven and Lost Gardens of Heligan, You could also visit the Eden Project by bus. If you like walking there is a well documented walk from Fowey, using the ferry to Polruan and back via Bodinnick ferry The Hall Walk - a great day out. Lostwithiel and Lanhydrock House provide a pleasant inland day trip.

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: St Austell in July/August

Thanks so much for your detailed response.

If anyone can recommend any more particularly good eateries in the area that would be great. We prefer independent to chair restaurants and not anything too high end.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
35 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: St Austell in July/August

Will you be staying in St Austell town or just in that area? . The Britannia Inn is good. It's next to the roundabout for the Par road.

Edited: 31 December 2015, 19:50
Picton, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
108 reviews
94 helpful votes
7. Re: St Austell in July/August

The White Hart (opposite the parish church) is good for food. And drink!

Reply to: St Austell in July/August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St Austell