We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendenhall Inn - Poor Thanksgiving buffet 2009

Philadelphia, PA
1 post
Save Topic
Mendenhall Inn - Poor Thanksgiving buffet 2009

We had 5:30 reservations at the Mendenhall Inn today for their Thanksgiving dinner buffet. When I made the reservations I was not told that the buffet was not actually in the restaurant but in the huge ballroom in the back of the Mendenhall property. I had never been to the Mendenhall Inn before. We arrived a few minutes early only to find a long line of people waiting to get inside. There were two mostly picked over platters of cheese and crackers in the lobby as a feeble attempt to appease the crowd of irritated and disappointed people until they were finally seated. We had to wait more than 45 minutes to get in and the staff was not particularly sympathetic. We had to pay as soon as we got to a long table in the lobby and then wait further to actually get a table. A few dishes offered in the buffet were good but most were at best, mediocre. There was no whole turkey served, just cooked boneless breasts, much like at the deli counter. I even had to wait for that while supplies were replenished. The woman who took our reservation told me that jackets and ties were appropriate but many of the hundreds of people dining there were dressed very very casually. Although the enormous room was pretty, it was very loud and impossible to talk to the person across the table. I would recommend that the Mendenhall Inn be crossed off any list of good restaurants in the area. If you want a nice intimate Thanksgiving I would suggest somewhere like the Kimberton Inn where the food and service is very good. This experience was like being part of a cattle call.

Longwood Gardens
Theatres, Gardens, Fountains, Scenic Walking Areas, Lessons & Workshops
The Mushroom Cap
Food Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops, Speciality Museums
The Woodlands at Phillips
Gift & Speciality Shops, Speciality Museums
1. Re: Mendenhall Inn - Poor Thanksgiving buffet 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2010, 13:19
Get answers to your questions about Kennett Square