We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few days in Lancaster in next summer

Reykjavík...
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
A few days in Lancaster in next summer

Hi :) Me, my girlfriend and our 1 year old son at the time, plan to drive from Washington to Lancaster next summer. It's a part of a trip in the US that's 2 months total. I have a few questions and maybe you can help me.

I have about 10 days to spend in Lancaster and Finger lake area with a day trip to Niagra falls also.

1. How much time would you spend in Lancaster?

2. We'd love recommendations for places to stay in Lancaster.

3. Also things to do in Lancaster and places to eat :)

Thank you all!

port republic
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

I would say 2 nights max, look here http://www.discoverlancaster.com/index.asp that gives a full day to explore the area. avoid sunday & monday as all Amish businesses will be closed. a B&B or farm stay would be my choice. much more to see and do in the finger lakes.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

Look at the very good tourist website Bushwacker gave you to see all the attractions Lancaster County has to offer.

How to divide your time between Finger Lakes and Lancaster County depends on your interests.

Finger Lakes has beautiful natural areas and excellant winerys

Lancaster County is more about beautiful farmlands, the Amish and grea, quaintt towns like Lititz, Lancaster itself, and, if you like crafts,Intercourse and Bird in Hand.

I would think you could easily spend three or 4 days in Lancaster County, if these types of things appeal to you.

Bushwacker is right about avoiding Sundays, Many of the quaint small shops (not just Amish owned ones) are closed Sunday- although the more commercial places, such as outlets and big box stores are, of course open.

Also, if you are interested in a Band B , many will not take a one year old. (farm stays are more kid friendly)

Depending on your interests, day trips to Hershey, Gettysburg, and/or Longwood Gardens may inteerst you as well.

Edited: 24 January 2017, 01:49
Reykjavík...
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

Thank you guys for your answers!:) They are really helpful. I think a farm stay or some kind of a home stay would be a fun experience. Do you have any recommendations for me? I think we will spend 3 nights in Lancaster area and then head out to Finger Lake area.

I also see that I can stop in Hershey on my way to Ithaca and my girlfriend loves chocolate so that's perfect! It's a little bit longer drive but hopefully worth it. Any comments on Hershey are highly appreciated!

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

Well, we have never personally done a farms stay. We live in a rural area and visit farms fairly frequently, so staying on one has no special attraction for us.

However, I have two suggestions

The first is Verdant View www.verdantview.com

This is a modern working Mennonite farm, near many off the tourist attractions, but still fairly secluded. Accomodations are comfortable rather than luxurious. You can particiate in farm activities

A little more upscale is Airy Hill Farm www.airyhillfarmbedandbreakfast.com The farm is a small one with chickens rabbits minature horses and alpacas. It is located well out of the tourist area.

Edited: 24 January 2017, 19:21
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
174 reviews
5. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

Even if you don't go to Hersheypark, there is enough to do in Hershey to fill a day. You might want to consider an overnight stay in Hershey on the way to Ithaca. Attractions to check out would be Hershey's Chocolate World, the Hershey Trolley Works Tour, The Hershey Story (a museum), and the Hershey Gardens. If you have never been in a limestone cavern, you might also want to visit nearby Indian Echo Caverns.

On the way to Ithaca, I would recommend visiting the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning, NY.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

I second the Glass Museum in Corning. The most comprehensive museum devoted to glass (artistic and utilitarian) in the United States.

There is also a very good museum of Western Art ("western" as in cowboys) in Corning, the Rockwell Museum.

Edited: 25 January 2017, 04:49
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

You may already realize this, but depending on where you stay in the Finger Lakes area it is about 2 to 3 hour drive to Niagara Falls. Doable as a day trip but a bit of driving.

Reykjavík...
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

Thank you guys! ;) Yes I know it's a long drive Dave. But I feel like I must visit since I am "in the area".

Might spend 1 night there but I think we will just do a daytrip there.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

Yep, it'll be worth the day trip. The views on the Canadian side are better if that is possible for you. You can stand at the edge of Horseshoe Falls. Be sure to take a trip on "The Maid of the Mist".

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
205 reviews
10. Re: A few days in Lancaster in next summer

If can't make it into Canada, you can see the Canadian side view by doing Maid of the Mist.

Cave of the Winds is also an excellent attraction on the US side.

If you want to buy Amish-made goods, I recommend doing this at Amish-owned businesses for the best assurances that that is what you are getting.

Edited: 26 January 2017, 10:59
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
Recent Conversations