We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Meadville and Franklin PA?

Dublin OH, USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Meadville and Franklin PA?

A business trip will take me from Erie, to Meadville to Franklin PA. I'll be spending one night in each location, and will have a lot of down time to kill.

It doesn't look like I'll have trouble finding something to do in Erie, but can anyone tell me what I should choose as my home base in the Meadville or Franklin areas? Ideally, I would like someplace with a mall, a good selection of restaurants and a movie theater.

Is there a town within a decent drive of either place that would work well for me?

Thanks for any help!

southern california
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Meadville and Franklin PA?

so, this response is a year late...

Not a lot in Meadville, though the Cracker Barrel, Chovy's Italian, Ricci's and Valenti's are worth it.

The downtown must have, at one time, been great, but it's a bit run down now.

some further thoughts on the area:

Meadville:

You have to stop an Hank's for Frozen Custard--too good.

Eddie's Foot Long Hot Dogs--great.

Conneaut Lake, nearby, is very nice.

Spartansburg, also nearby, has an Amish Community that lives there. Drive down the back roads--slow & respectful--and see where they live. Nice family restaurant in town where the Amish eat as well.

Allegheny College, in Meadville, is a very pretty liberal arts college. Nice for walking.

The Riverside Inn in nearby Cambridge Springs makes a nice stop as well.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Meadville and Franklin PA?

While in Meadville, drive to Linesville and see all the fish at Pymatuning or go to Jamestown PA and walk through the small zoo. The fish trip is well worth doing.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Meadville and Franklin PA?

"What to do in Meadville?" That's a question generations of Allegheny students have pondered.

Meadville, Pa 16335
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Meadville and Franklin PA?

Several years later....Feb. 2009.

Meadville is changing, new resturants on Chestnut St. An Indoor Shopping Complex on Park Ave. called @ the bank has a variety of artists, book store in the vault, Great gift shop and the Espresso bar called Tellers Row Coffee Bar. They serve all the favorite espresso drinks, hot and cold. And have great wraps and specials. There is always something new @ the bank. Annie's Bridal, Too! from Franklin is thier latest addition and a new bulk food store is expected to be joining @ the bank in March 09'. The Market House has a variety of unusual and homemade items and foods. The Market House Grill just opened there last year. An Italian resturant just opened a year ago on upper Chestnut and there is a bakery called Creative Crust on the other end. Of course there is the Artist Cup and Tattered Corners book store. A new local pub called Mardi Gras serves up a Cajun style menu located just behind @ the bank. Lots of history too. The @ the bank building was built in 1922 to be the Park Theater and later in 1959 became a regional bank and today is an incubator for small business. Don't forget the Academy Theater which offers year round entertainment. Meadville continues to look ahead with the Make It Meadville project, bringing the Main St. program to the city through a volunteer group of business men and women. Next time u r in the area stop and walk around because there is more to come in 09'

5. Re: What to do in Meadville and Franklin PA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 19:23
Get answers to your questions about Meadville
Recent Conversations