We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth the trip?

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
352 posts
110 reviews
Worth the trip?

We will be in Myrtle Beach for 10 days in July. Trying to decide which place to visit - Beaufort, Charleston, or Savannah. I have been to the last 2, but my kids have not been to any of them. They will be 14 when we go. Now, my thinking is that Charleston or Savannah might be the better choice, HOWEVER, my kids hate walking around in the heat, and I am guessing that Beaufort is much smaller, and faster to navigate / investigate.

I would like to arrive by 10 AM, and leave by 6 PM..... and if possible, find some beach ( Fripp Island? ) to spend a couple of hours before heading back to Myrtle.

Is it worth it for 8 hours?

Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: Worth the trip?

Fripp Island is private and gated, but Hunting Island State Park has a good beach and a lighthouse. Downtown Beaufort has a nice riverfront park and shops and restaurants. You could take a carriage ride through the historic area. If you're into African-American history, the Penn Center on St Helena Island is a a well restored and interpreted example of early African-American education.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Worth the trip?

Here's a link to a day trip suggestion that has one leaving Charleston and heading to Savannah... and yes, a visit to Hunting Island is included:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g54135-c137780/Beaufo…

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Worth the trip?

Depending on where you start in Myrtle.... Beaufort is 3 hours or more of a drive. You are correct that it is much smaller. However.... Charleston is closer, has MUCH more to see and do and the are 3 local beaches you could get to in 30 min or less from the historic district. If you have not done so, go to the Charleston Forum page and look to the right for Top Questions about Charleston ~ the info there may help you make a decision.

Also.... Georgetown (the 3rd oldest town in SC, after Charleston and then Beaufort) is much closer to you. You might want to consider that as well.

www.seaportgeorgetown.com

www.scmaritimemuseum.org

www.ricemuseum.org

www.hopsewee.com

www.brookgreen.org (between Murrells Inlet and Pawleys Island)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Worth the trip?

We love the Beaufort area. That being said, I would NOT want to be in a car with teenagers for 3 hours each way to Beaurort, let alone Savannah :(

There are a lot of things your group would enjoy in the Charleston area. They would probably enjoy Patriots Point, boat ride/Fort Sumter, a short walk through historic district, dining on Shem Creek or other areas near the water. Otherwise, you end up wasting 6 to 7 hours of travel time and end up with some really miserable kids :)

Collegeville...
Level Contributor
352 posts
110 reviews
5. Re: Worth the trip?

TY all..

Haha.... my kids are awesome... I could take them 10 hours and they would be good as gold.

I am also pre-screening ( only a wee bit ) our future retirement. Wife and I both know we want to retire in SC, but that is 4 years away.

Decatur, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
126 reviews
6. Re: Worth the trip?

Beaufort County is very popular with retirees.

7. Re: Worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2016, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Beaufort
Recent Conversations