We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eclipse viewing

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Eclipse viewing

Hi. We are travelling to the area for the eclipse. We missed out on tickets to Roper Science center that day. Any suggestions where to be for the eclipse? Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
Easley, South...
Level Contributor
869 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Eclipse viewing

viewing event at Furman football stadium.Not sure of details,but they are giving away free glasses.Furman has a reputation of putting on great events, beautiful campus also!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eclipse viewing

news.furman.edu/features/eclipse-at-furman/

Boston...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Eclipse viewing

I don't mean to hijack... I'm also traveling to Greenville. Honestly, I hadn't heard of the town before searching for best locations, so I'm a bit overwhelmed with where to view/what to do/etc. I also missed out on tickets to Roper.

I've seen information about Furman and BJU. My concern is that they will be flooded with so many people that it could distract from the actual event. A quick google search suggests that Falls Park could be a good site. Does anyone have input on that or other public locations?

Again, I hope you don't mind that I intruded without being able to add anything helpful!

Edited: 16 July 2017, 11:59
Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
103 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eclipse viewing

Falls Park is downtown and it should be on your list of "must see" while in Greenville, whether it is for the eclipse or not.

Clemson U is planning a "mega event"

The Swamp Rabbit Cafe in Greenville is celebrating with all things moon: moon pies, moon rocks, and crescent shaped croissants! August 21st from 1:39-3pm! Free admission!

For more local events :http://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/eclipse/

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Clemson
Clemson
South Carolina
Swamp Rabbit Cafe
Swamp Rabbit Cafe
104 Reviews
Greenville, SC
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eclipse viewing

Thanks everyone! I'll look into Furman and Clemson. Falls park is very tempting too...I'm just worried about all of us tourists making any event too crowded also!

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Clemson
Clemson
South Carolina
Easley, South...
Level Contributor
869 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Eclipse viewing

I think the best bet is to get out of downtown, and falls park is downtown.Remember, we in Greenville, just like the folks in Charleston have nothing to compare this too.We will be in the Charleston area, and my fear is that leaving on the 22nd will feel like a hurricane evacuation.

Surely the Clemson event can't be even as bad as football game, or can it?

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Clemson
Clemson
South Carolina
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
103 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eclipse viewing

Some more options:

Ink N’ Ivy | 12 – 3 p.m. | Viewing party will be up on the rooftop with live Music by Spencer Rush. Glasses are free and blue plate specials will be available for $10.

Up on the Roof | 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. | $40 entry which includes entry to the rooftop, light apps, Caribbean-inspired tunes from Kelly Jo & Buffaloe and eclipse sunglasses.

The Great American Eclipse | Greer City Park | 12 – 3 p.m. | Free + first 1,000 people get free glasses

Solar Spectacular | Lake Conestee Nature Park | 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. | $20 admission for adults, $10 for kids under 12

Eclipse at Furman | Furman University’s Paladin Stadium | 12 – 3 p.m. | Free admission and glasses + live narration from Furman scientists.

Standing on the Moon - Solar Eclipse Party with Phuncle Sam | Quest Brewing Company | 12 – 6 p.m. | Free admission, beer specials, and 2 full sets of Grateful Dead covers

Eclipse over NOMA | NOMA Square | 1 – 4 p.m. | Free | Watch the eclipse then take your pick of downtown restaurants to grub out at.

Total Eclipse of the Sun Party | Swamp Rabbit Cafe and Grocery | 1:39 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. | Free to get in, but glasses will be in limited supply.

Solar Eclipse Party at City Scape Winery | 12 – 5 p.m. | $15 general admission | Yard games, live music, and of course, wine.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Swamp Rabbit Cafe
Swamp Rabbit Cafe
104 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Liberty NC
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eclipse viewing

If you are a baseball fan, Check out The Greenville Drive at Fluor Field. They moved the game to 105p and there will be complimentary glasses courtesy of Pepsi handed out. Last I checked there were still tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Fluor Field at the WestEnd
Fluor Field at the...
700 Reviews
Greenville, SC
Greer, South...
Level Contributor
77 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eclipse viewing

Falls park is downtown Grenville and will be incredibly crowded. It is a great place to visit for sure, but this may be a congested nightmare. There are several parking garages, but I would expect them all to be full.

i can't tell you exactly where to be, but avoid Woodruff Road at all costs. The traffic will be horrendous.

If all you care about is seeing the eclipse with less traffic and crowds, You may try to call to some small town schools or churches to see what they are offering. Just a thought.

Edited: 08 August 2017, 19:37
Greer, South...
Level Contributor
77 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eclipse viewing

Lake conestee park would be a good place to view the eclipse. Lots of parking, big fields, playground, shelters and hiking. Im not sure if tickets would be available or not. good luck!

Reply to: Eclipse viewing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Greenville