We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
128 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

I'm a pseudo-Yankee who misses Southern food badly!

My sons and I will be visiting Greenville this weekend (actually will be in Fair Play but coming to Greenville and also the Clemson area for college tours) and would LOVE to have some down home Southern eats.

Not looking for fancified or upscale, just that really good, down home, like Grandma makes it Southern food.

Please pass along some suggesttions for us!

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Clemson
Clemson
South Carolina
Luna Rosa Gelato Cafe
$$ - $$$, Italian, Cafe
Yellow Ginger
$$ - $$$, Chinese, Asian, Thai
Smoky Dreams BBQ
$$ - $$$, American, Barbecue
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
76 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

Hi, when you are in Clemson I highly recommend PAWS Diner. Super cheap and super delicious. Good solid people who own and run the restaurant.

Greenville has a lot of what we call "Meat and 3" restaurants. I can't really say that I love any of them. I'll say that we tend to gravitate to Stax Originial when we visit any of these types of restaurants in Greenville. It all depends on what you order at each restaurant. I definitely recommend the mac and cheese and pineapple casserole if you go to Stax.

A short drive out of your way to Pickens is a restaurant called Gatehouse Restaurant. Like PAWS in Clemson, I highly recommend.

Elevated southern food that happens to be my favorite restaurant is Soby's. It's located downtown Greenville. It's gonna cost you $20-$25 per dish though. Probably gonna have a difficult time finding a table over Valentines weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Clemson
Clemson
South Carolina
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
2. Re: Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 March 2016, 02:21
Edited: 25 March 2016, 02:21
3. Re: Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 March 2016, 02:21
4. Re: Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

Removed on: 22 August 2016, 10:22
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
219 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

Don't know about Greenville proper but if you are near Spartanburg, Wades is worth a stop.

Mentioned in this post
Greenville
Greenville
South Carolina
Spartanburg
Spartanburg
South Carolina
Blowing Rock, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

wades in spartanburg. doesn't get any better

7. Re: Best Down Home Southern Food in Greenville

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2018, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Greenville