We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet friendly dolphin tours?

HAZARD, KY
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Pet friendly dolphin tours?

Any recommendations for pet friendly dolphin tours?

8 replies to this topic
Connecticut
Level Contributor
422 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet friendly dolphin tours?

Possibly... FWIW, though, we've taken our dogs on every trip to HHI multiple times a year for the last 10+ years. Taking them on a dolphin tour is one of the very few activities we will not consider for them. All it takes is one good bump from a wave or wake to send a pet flying overboard into a potentially tragic situation. My two cents.

Ohio
Level Contributor
201 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet friendly dolphin tours?

I too would never consider taking my dogs on a water tour for the reasons stated in #1 and can't imagine a tour company permitting it. Having been on several tours, and watching them board over the years, I can say that I have never seen a dog board a boat.

HAZARD, KY
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet friendly dolphin tours?

Ok! Opinions noted. Has anyone taken their dog on the ferry to Daufuakie? We are considering doing this.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
422 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet friendly dolphin tours?

Don't get us wrong... HHI is one of the dog-friendliest places you will ever find. I think it's great that you're bringing your pup with you. Just not that specific activity. There is so much else to do with your dog.

http://www.daufuskieislandferry.com/

Attached link indicates dogs are welcome on the ferry, but have to stay in a designated area. Have fun.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
313 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pet friendly dolphin tours?

Try Scott at Low County Nature Tours 843-683-0187. I agree with the above, however, it also depends if your dog is used to being on the water.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
352 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pet friendly dolphin tours?

If you google the island and the ferry - it may help to spell it correctly - Daufuskie. I too have never seen a dog on the dolphin tours but I also take my children and since my son suffers from terrible pet allergies - we wouldn't have been able to go if it was pet friendly. When you factor in the uncertanties on a boat and excitement created by other attendees on the boat, attendees that your pup has never met before and will be unfamiliar with, my "opinion" is the same as others. We've had some incidents here in Charleston at traditional pet friendly venues (breweries) where unfamiliar sights and sounds have caused visiting K9s to react in a way that has caused danger to others. Not only from humans to dogs but also between unfamiliar dogs. Please keep this in mind when exposing your pet while on vacation in a very strange place. We can adapt much easier than your dog can.

HAZARD, KY
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pet friendly dolphin tours?

We would never endanger our dog or cause issues for other people. We are always careful to follow all pet rules. Just exploring the possibilities. We are here now loving the beach. Thanks for your input!

Harlingen,TX
Level Contributor
906 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pet friendly dolphin tours?

It seems to me that Scott (mentioned above) is the one whose own dog stood proudly on the front of the boat on our tour. Fortunately, he was well-trained not to jump in the water. So in a way, the tour was "dog friendly", but I'm not sure Scott's dog would like sharing his space.

Reply to: Pet friendly dolphin tours?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted