We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to HHI with our 3 year old

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
219 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to HHI with our 3 year old

Hello Everyone, My husband is headed down to HHI for a conference and I've decided to tag along with our 3 year old. I haven't been in YEARS and I'm looking for some family friendly restaurants and activities (other than the beach of course!). We're booked at the Westin. Is this pretty family friendly resort? Also, is the Tiki Hut someplace we can take the little guy in the late afternoon or early evening to enjoy a frosty beverage (for the adults- of course)? All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to HHI with our 3 year old

I wouldnt worry so much about the 3 year old, as he/she will not remember the trip 10 years from now, you will. The tiki hut is fine for all ages, and the westin has a good kids program, but not sure it is useful for a 3 year old. Your child will be happy with the beach and kiddy pool, so find the things that you two adults most want to see and do.

Inman, SC
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to HHI with our 3 year old

We spent three weeks there last year with our three year old. She loves The Sandbox (the children's museum) It is packed on rainy days, but we went one afternoon when it was too hot for her to be on the beach. She loves Shelter Cove on Tuesday nights. We eat at the very family friendly Parrot Cove restaurant there-- she can play on the playground while we wait for our table. The Fireworks are worth sticking around for and Shannon Tanner's show is very kid friendly.

Also, the movies at Coligny are free for kids on Wednesday mornings (in case it is a rainy day).

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
656 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to HHI with our 3 year old

Hello, we've been going to HHI since my youngest was 2-I have 2 girls. Most of the time we spent at the pool or the beach. After lunch we did naps and then back out to the pool. In the evenings I packed up my stroller and we went to Harbour Town to walk around and listen to Greg Russell. We also played miniature golf, even my little one at the time loved walking around and using the plastic putter, it's very child friendly. One time we were brave and took a dolphin cruise from Shelter Cove, great fun and she was really good. The captain let them steer the boat. Another great idea was renting bikes. When the girls were smaller I rented a bike with a cart behind and rode all over Palmetto Dunes and different areas. The bike paths are endless. I am not sure if there are bike paths near the Westin but I am guessing there may be. That kept my 2 yrs old very happy and she even feel asleep at one point. We even rode them on the beach. I have found over the years that HHI has something for every age, it's just a great, fun, relaxing vacation.

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
219 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to HHI with our 3 year old

Thank you to all for your help!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to HHI with our 3 year old

DCLola: I'd rent bikes with a carrier and just tour the bike paths. They are paved and plentiful. The bikes have fat tires, so you can ride on the beach too. Cheap entertainment, fresh air and wonderful scenery.

D in Muskoka.

Get a basket and lock too, so you hop off and on for ice cream etc. All bike rental places have carriers and tag alongs. Many have used the Bike Doctor with success. Usually around $25 for the week.

6. Re: First visit to HHI with our 3 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 13:18