We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Head with tweens

lexington MA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Head with tweens

We'll be staying at the Marriott Barony Beach from 10/10 to 10/17 (only 2 days of school at home that week). What would you recommend on the island of particular interest to tweens - 13, 11 and 8, beyond swimming, mini golf and ice cream?

We are already planning to rent bikes for the week, visit the HH Coastal Discovery museum, and do a day tour in Savannah...

thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Coastal Discovery Museum
Coastal Discovery Museum
923 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Boston
Level Contributor
854 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Head with tweens

Are your tweens boys or girls? You should do a dolphin nature tour with them on one of the smaller boats, we enjoy Outside Hilton Head for our tours. Also, check out Schooner Welcome, it is a schooner boat that leaves from Shelter Cove. Biking on the beach will be a lot of fun. Are you driving or flying? My husband and son also enjoy deep sea fishing. Not so sure if I would suggest the outlets as they are the same ones we have at home in Kittery and Wrentham. Marriott will also have a list of activities for the week for both you and your children. We stay at Marriott in Shelter Cove and our kids have also done kyacking with Marriott it is kids from all the resorts that week.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
lexington MA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Head with tweens

Thanks. We are flying in, and our kids are girl 13, boy 11 and girl 8. We don't fish, but we'd probably enjoy a dolphin tour, and the kayaking!

Boston
Level Contributor
854 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Head with tweens

Also check out some of the summers threads on this forum, our kids are a little older but I remember reading many tween ideas from the summer for girls. Just spending family time biking, going to the beach etc will be a lot of fun. My husband and I are returning Oct 3-10 and happy to say we are flying this time, we were in HH April school vacation and drove due to high air fare. I had also checked Vagabond Cruises to take the boat to Savannah in Oct, our daughter who goes to school near Myrtle Beach is coming for the end of the week but the boat schedule does to fit her schedule, Vagabond had some good reviews this summer for the Savannah cruise.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
boston
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Head with tweens

HiltonHeadBoson- did you do the Vagabond Savannah trip in October. We are heading to hilton head in may and are interested in seeing Savannah while we are there. My husband has a hard time walking so I am curious if you think he would be able to do this trip to Savannah.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
501 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Head with tweens

Check out Lawton Stables for a trailride through the forest preserve. Dolphin tour is a must and I really want to check out the catamaran dolphin tours on the Pau Hana, they look fun. http://www.hiltonheadisland.com/sailing/

I believe you can rent jet skis....the water temp that time of year is in the 70s...wet suit would be needed.

You don't need to take a cruise to Savannah (unless you want to) we usually drive, it's 45 minutes, and there are many things to do in Savannah, you have the riverfront for all the shops and food, ghost tours...walking, trolleys, hearse, house tours. Tybee Island isn't far from Savannah and Fort Pulaski is there which is very interesting. If you want to stay the entire day, I'd drive instead of the cruise because I believe it heads out at 4:30/5 pm so you wouldn't be able to do a ghost tour.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

Mentioned in this post
Lawton Stables
Lawton Stables
394 Reviews
Hilton Head, SC
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
boston
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Head with tweens

Thank you

7. Re: Hilton Head with tweens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 14:16