We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly fish arrival??

Virginia
Level Contributor
606 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly fish arrival??

We are considering a vacation in Hilton Head JUne 23-30 this year (2012). Are the stinging jelly fish a problem this early in the season?

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly fish arrival??

The sea nettles usually do most of its stinging in July and August, but this has been an atypical weather year, so who knows how this may impact migration from southern waters.

Bottom line, when swimming, pay attention to the life guard instructions. They will report any jelly problems.

Joanne

hilton head island
Level Contributor
62 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly fish arrival??

There are jelly fish washing up now, but it's not the stinging kind. I buy this spray online called "Jellyfish Squish" and it stops the stinging from the sea nettles immediately. The thing to worry about are stingrays! I always encourage everyone to shuffle their feet when walking through the water. My husband suffered a stingray wound 2 years ago. It's horribly painful!!! I wish the lifeguards and the town would post warnings and reminders to shuffle your feet and to be more aware of them. There are hundreds of attacks each summer here on Hilton Head!

Virginia
Level Contributor
606 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly fish arrival??

Thanks, we had originally booked a vacation for the first week of June, but there is a sudden issue with the condo we rented so we are bailing out of that and starting our search all over. We found a condo we love, but it is only available beginning the third week of June. Our last visit to HHI, two years ago, was during the second week of July and we could not even get in the water due to jelly fish. Not sure what I will do now. We love the ocean and I don't want to have to worry about jelly fish. Wonder why they are so bad at HHI? We have stayed in Kiawah and Wild Dunes without problem. Guess I might be looking there for accomodations, but HHI is a better value. :( BTW - I agree with your point about the atypical weather. As warm as it has been, the water may be mid-80's by early June this year!

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly fish arrival??

I prefer the island in June over either July or August- not quite as crowded, so that 3rd week might even be a better option for you.

hilton head island
Level Contributor
62 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly fish arrival??

I would agree, June is a much better month.

Virginia
Level Contributor
606 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jelly fish arrival??

Thank you to everyone for your responses/advice. We will be in HHI the first week of June, can't wait!

7. Re: Jelly fish arrival??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head
Recent Conversations