We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Buffalo..why

Ontario
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Buffalo..why

Is the route through WV the recommended route? When I use google maps this pops up as the preferable route, and the Washington route is 2nd preference. Is this because it is 1/2 hr faster (according to google)?

We are leaving from Niagara, and crossing int Buffalo, planning to leave at midnight and drive straight through. I am wondering if driving the Washington route might be better as to avoid the mountains at night. With that being said, I would rather drive the mountains than stuck in traffic and add time in to the drive.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
9 replies to this topic
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
7,103 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

The mountains at night are not an issue on Interstate highways. On the other hand, traffic around DC is an issue any time. I'd take the WV route.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

Just drove back to Pittsburgh area yesterday - Always have avoided the beltway because of traffic- but found the RT 522 -17 - I-95 route to be crowded and can't make time - either way - the only thing about the I-95 route is that it is direct, once you're on you don't get off - just beware DC to Richmond is crowded and under some construction

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Richmond
Richmond
Virginia
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,980 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

Most definitely take I-79 to WV, Rt. 19, I-77 route! Don't worry about "mountain driving" It is Interstate standards...4 lane, no hairpin curves, no steep hills to climb/go down. You will be fine!

If you take the other route...to DC, you would be hitting it around morning rush hour! Yikes!

And...not sure what DanM means by "I-95 route is direct...once you're on you don't get off" ?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

Straight through until you get off to go to Myrtle no route changes

West Virginia
Level Contributor
48 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

I went thru WV in May I79 from Morgantown to Charleston. Lot of construction. Several area's where it go's down to 1 lane. Not sure if it's still that way.

Mentioned in this post
Morgantown
Morgantown
West Virginia
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

We went down I77 from southern OH all the way to Columbia, SC (I know, beyond your turn off) in June, not too bad. There was some construction, but not standing in traffic for ages.

Traffic has dropped off considerably, since many kids are back in school, shouldn't be the "summertime" jam ups, if you are planning something in the near future.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,980 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

Do not go to Charleston . Get on Route 19 in Sutton. Get on 77 in Beckley.

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Beckley
Beckley
West Virginia
Mississauga
Level Contributor
825 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

Have been driving to Myrtle for the past 5 years using the 179 - I77 route and never had a problem. Roads are all great interstate hwy. If your leaving at midnight, by the time you hit the mountains, the sun will be coming up. Have a safe trip.

Ontario
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Buffalo..why

Thanks for the advice! We are going to take the WV route. Not sure if we will leave at midnight, or very early in the AM (4 ish). And we will bypass Charleston by using the 19, as well!

Mentioned in this post
Charleston
Charleston
Reply to: Driving from Buffalo..why
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted