We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Parking confusing

BOSTON, MA
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Parking confusing

We dropped off a friend at the airport and would only be parking there for a short time. There is a short term lot and an ECONOMY (aka credit card lot). We thought the ECONOMY lot would be less. We were there for 14 minutes and were charged $9. Had we parked in the short term lot, the first 15 minutes are free, then $3 for the next several minutes. I called the number on our ticket to verify this. SO WHY IS IT CALLED ECONOMY?

8 replies to this topic
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Parking confusing

Short-term parking is for people who will only be there for a short time. Long-term parking is for people who will be parking longer, usually 24+ plus. The Credit Card lot offers a more economical alternative for long-term parking. Short-term parking is designed specially for people in your situation. If you'd followed the rules, you would have been fine. You tried to game the system and lost. We've all done it somewhere or other. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose. It's all part of the game so no point complaining when we lose.

flymyrtlebeach.com/to-and-from-myr/parking/

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Parking confusing

It's not a matter of not "following the rules", she didn't cheat or anything, she still paid for parking. Maybe she just didn't read the signs carefully or maybe it is confusing when you pull up. I've only been to the airport once a long time ago and can't remember the signage. That link does explain it well. Live and learn.

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
972 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Parking confusing

How is thinking that a lot named the Economy Lot might be your best value "gaming the system"? Unless you've been to the airport before or are a regular flyer who knows about such things, it's perfectly understandable to think maybe this lot is cheaper because it's father away or something.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Parking confusing

Im confused by your stating "dropping off a friend". If you were only dropping off why would you need to park? There is a cell phone lot that is free if your waiting for a flight to arrive. Could that have worked for you??

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,800 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Parking confusing

I had the same experience at the Columbia SC airport. Found myself checking into and out of two different parking options. Signage is important, and the managers are responsible. Tripadvisor can't solve this one for you.

Write a letter to the editor of the Myrtle Beach Sun-News. Complain to the City of Myrtle Beach. Complain to the SC Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism.

There's no excuse for you to have to drive around figuring out what the various parking options might mean.

BOSTON, MA
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Parking confusing

Our friend is handicapped and required assistance

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Parking confusing

Your a good friend to offer assistance.Hopefully if there is a next time an employee of the airport can guide you to your best least costly option.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Parking confusing

Family member had to fly out mid week. Booking arrangements completed on line using phone but had to run by airport to hit kiosk to print ticket.

Pulled in front of building for them to run in for maybe five minutes. They were barely to door before security was after me to move.

I kind of understand their side of it but yes there should be something for those quickie situations. No sense in charging $3 for a few minutes plus having to walk forever to do it. Wouldn't hurt if security was a bit nicer and understanding to the "tourists" that keep them in business.

Not like we're dealing with a Chicago, Boston or NY airport.

Reply to: Airport Parking confusing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted