We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

This is our 1st family vacation. Plan is 3rd week of July with a 6yr old, 3yr old and 1yr old -- all boys! Have never been to Myrtle Beach and have no clue about location. Do we need to be where all the action is or can we drive/park in the evenings? Thanks so much for any and all advice. Much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

Sorry I'm the op...should have added some details:

-we will be driving in from Toronto/Niagara Falls area

-boys love water and sand, are early risers and early to bed

-hubbie and I are not big partiers...this vacation is all about the kids

-I am very nervous about travelling with the kids...nervous that we will lose sight of them, nervous that they will get hurt, etc (not sure if this has any bearing on where to stay)

-would like to make most of our meals/snacks so hoping to be able to do groceries close to where we stay

-my boys are super excited and super excitable!!

-will be bringing sand toys and lugging lots of stuff to beach on a daily basis (cooler, diapers, first aid kit ;-)...so proximity from room to beach is key

Thanks again for any and all advice

Edited: 13 February 2012, 10:21
Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

If yall are not much party people or outgoing type then check into Dune Villages. It is located at the northern end of Myrtle Beach. It is in more of a residental area.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
930 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

The Breaker is a great location, lots to do in the area that is within walking distance of the resort. The resort has a great pool area and is right on the beach. You will be there during the summer peak so it will be very crowded and noisy in that section of MB.

Dunes Village might be better to you pace. It is in a residential section. The beach will not be as crowded in that area, and with a 1 yrs old in the group you want to look into that property.

Mentioned in this post
Dunes Village Resort
Dunes Village Resort
6,281 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

I would consider looking into condo properties either a little north or south of the "central" area. A lot of them have gated access and security patrols which is a safety factor for families. Some, especially those rented by owners themself, offer sand toys for kids included with the rental and that could save a lot of room when traveling with 5 people. MB is so spread out that you will definitely want to drive around to see/enjoy what is there.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

No, you don't need to be in the central, most congested areas, and it sounds as if you probably don't want to be. You can drive there and elsewhere whenever you like.

Of the two, Compass Cove would be the less crowded location. It's well south of the downtown strip area. Very nice place, spread out over two blocks and the most water amenities you'll find anywhere, plus two tube slides. They have a mushroom shower and a pirate ship kiddie pool.

I agree you should look into Dunes Village, very deluxe and your kids would love it, but it will be in a higher price category. Long Bay is another idea...it's in the more residential north end and would be similar in cost to Compass Cove (same owners).

Mentioned in this post
Dunes Village Resort
Dunes Village Resort
6,281 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Long Bay Resort
Long Bay Resort
2,699 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

We stayed at the Long Bay, which is on the northern end as well (I believe around 72nd St.) It is within a short drive of a Food Lion and within walking distance to several restaurants, including a fun, cheap burger joint right next door. If you're looking to stay out of the congestion, I definitely recommend that area of town. The beaches aren't as crowded and you can cross the street outside of the hotel without taking your life into your own hands.

Mentioned in this post
Long Bay Resort
Long Bay Resort
2,699 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

Based on your comments I would not recommend Dunes Village and certainly not the Breakers. the Breakers will be extrememly crowded and is in a crowded area and you might feel overwhelmed. You should look at the Embassy suites or Royale Palms in Kingston Plantation. They are great places which the kids will love and the Royale Palms has the nicest accomodations in MB. There is a wal mart very close by and they have a free shuttle which will take you to walmart and the outlets as well as some nearby restaurants. the grounds are beautiful and you can walk around without the crowds and the waterpark for the kids is great. You won't go wrong with either. The Embvassy suites is a hotel with all the amenities while the Royale Palms is a luxury condo that is attached to the Hilton and you can enjoy all those amenities as well. The Royal Palms has a washer and dryer and a kitchen that is stocked better then many homes. Get a 2 bedrom in RP and you will love it. Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Ontario, Canada
Dunes Village Resort
Dunes Village Resort
6,281 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

Go withe the Compass Cove choice, it has some of the best and the most water amenities and it is very family friendly. You will also be centrally located along the Grand Strand to go out and enjoy the many activities we have to offer.

Gary

Mentioned in this post
Grand Strand
Grand Strand
457 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
thomson ga
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

Would like to suggest Holiday Sands @ South Beach you can choose 2 bedroom ocean front with ocean view rear bedroom or oveanview ....great amenities for the kids, including a great family owned restaurant.Located on the south end of Myrtle Beach it will be less crowded. Down the elevator out the door 200 steps you are ready to set your chair on the beach

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Holiday Sands South
Holiday Sands South
576 Reviews
Myrtle Beach, SC
Mishawaka, Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakers, Compass Cove or Somewhere else?

I am NOT a Myrtle Beach expert as we visited in June 2010 for the first time, and just booked our rental for July 2012 for our second trip. While searching for our July trip though, I already made a short list of places I may book for our April 2013 trip. We traveled to other family destinations prior to Myrtle Beach and also in 2011, including Disney World, Naples, FL, and amusement parks such as Cedar Point and Kings Island. But my family has voted and it will probably just be Myrtle Beach from now on. We love it there!

I am not familiar with Breakers or Compass Cove. But thought I would suggest that you look a little South for a family friendly atmosphere. We stayed in Oceanside Village, located in Surfside. We rented a 3 bedroom Pier Home, that came with a golf cart. The golf cart may be perfect for your boys as you can easily haul everything to the beach and park in OSV's private parking lot, right next to the Conch Cafe. You can then also use the golf cart to get to either of their 2 pools within the complex, along with their park. My then 7 year old also loved just riding in the golf cart for a break from the beach and pools. In fact, it may have been her favorite activity during the vacation, after the beach of course.

There is a mini golf course across the street with a small ice cream stand. My daughter and I walked there, but with 3 small boys, you may want to take the complimentary shuttle offered by OSV instead.

One word of caution is that some of the rentals are very small mobile homes, quite close to each other. So if privacy is an issue, you may want to rent in the Melody Gardens area, The Keys, or Bermuda Bay (high end homes with high price tags so only if your budget allows). If the home you rent doesn't include the golf cart, you can rent one from the complex.

OSV is almost exactly between the Garden City Pier and Surfside Beach Pier. We walked on the beach down to both of them to eat dinner a few times, but with the ages of your young ones, you could easily drive instead. The pier at Garden City has an arcade across the street that your boys may enjoy.

We did drive up to Barefoot Landing and Broadway at the Beach on 2 different nights. It was a short drive and we enjoyed them both. But not enough to go again this trip. In fact, since the home we rented last time was already rented by the time I started looking, we are venturing a little further South this time and staying in Litchfield by the Sea. But for a first time visit with the focus being your sons, give some thought to Oceanside Village and the Surfside or Garden City areas.

Mentioned in this post
Surfside Beach Pier
Surfside Beach Pier
85 Reviews
Surfside Beach, SC
Barefoot Landing
Barefoot Landing
3,191 Reviews
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Broadway at the Beach
Broadway at the Beach
7,384 Reviews