We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yard Camping Questions for Sturgis Rally

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Yard Camping Questions for Sturgis Rally

I know everyone says to plan ahead, especially this year for the 75th anniverary rally but for reasons too long to list here, I can't plan ahead for the rally. If I go it will be a last minute decision. Based on my research that leaves yard camping as my only option and to be honest I am intrigued by yard camping. Can anyone let me know how that works? Are there plenty of signs throughout town of folks offering their yards for rally attendees? Has anyone yard camped before? Any particular section of town would be better for me to look for available yards? Am I crazy to think I will find a spot at the last minute or do you think I will be able to find a yard? Any info at all will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mystic Hills Hideaway
Mystic Hills Hideaway
#1 of 10 Speciality lodging in Deadwood
Spearfish KOA
Spearfish KOA
#1 of 7 Speciality lodging in Spearfish
Hidden Valley Campground
Hidden Valley Campground
#2 of 10 Speciality lodging in Deadwood
5 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yard Camping Questions for Sturgis Rally

I'm guessing you want to yard camp in Sturgis? I'm betting there won't be much available and if there is, it will be very expensive. Anyplace in Sturgis would be fine if you can find something. It's not a very big town. Some of the campgrounds might have some grass left to camp on.

You might find a place in Rapid City but that's another long shot. Have you checked Craig's List? Just watch out for scams.

From what I've heard, you would get a place to pitch your tent, an electrical outlet, and access to a bathroom. This, of course, could vary as well.

They expect 1,000,000 people so all previous experience is mostly irrelevant.

Mentioned in this post
Sturgis
Sturgis
South Dakota
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yard Camping Questions for Sturgis Rally

We go to the rally every year. There are always yard spaces available when we go. Signs everywhere for spots in the yard, most just say to stop and talk with them, the owner is usually outside during the day anyways watching the people... You could possably find a couple of campgrounds as well as long as you have just a tent. I know Tilford Gultch usually has room for tents throughout the rally. That is were we stay. Cheaper spot to stay and nice, they have a bar, food, showers. Plus it is only 9 miles from Sturgis which makes it nice to sleep at night, and Da Bus stops there also.

Mentioned in this post
Sturgis
Sturgis
South Dakota
Ellisville, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yard Camping Questions for Sturgis Rally

Hi,

You asked pretty much the exact questions I had! I wish there were more definitive answers! Last year, I did notice lots of yards with signs, phone numbers, etc. I never dreamed they would be so difficult to find, and I have been looking the last few months on line. I would have taken pictures of the signs and numbers if I had been thinking! We have friends there now, that are yard camping for $25 a night. If I can reach them, I will post the number for you. Like you, if we can go, we will be "winging it" as well. I do have an email out on a lead in downtown Sturgis, so I will keep you posted! Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Sturgis
Sturgis
South Dakota
4. Re: Yard Camping Questions for Sturgis Rally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 April 2017, 06:35

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yard Camping Questions for Sturgis Rally

More advertising! Reported!

Reply to: Yard Camping Questions for Sturgis Rally
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sturgis