We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Rossaveal

Beacon, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Rossaveal

Hello,

I am planning to spend one weekday overnight in the last week of May on Inish Mor, taking the last ferry (or next to last) from Rossaveal. I'll be leaving a rental car overnight at the ferry terminal. I like to travel light and hope to leave my suitcases in the car and back a small overnight bag. Questions: 1. Do I need to buy ferry tickets in advance (I'd like to be flexible) and 2. Is the ferry terminal in Rossaveal a safe place to leave luggage in the carpark? Thank you so much for any help or suggestions.

3 replies to this topic
Kildare
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Rossaveal

Kathleen, generally it's not a good idea to leave luggage in a car.

However, if it's covered over in the boot (trunk) with a pull-over tonneau-type cover which doesn't allow people to see in, that would probably be fine overnight. Personally, I would be wary of doing it, but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to.

Chances are it would be absolutely fine, but there are opportunistic people everywhere and it would be horrible for your holiday to be spoiled by thieves. Also, your travel insurance may not cover you for luggage left visible in a car.

Would it be possible to have your luggage stored by your previous accommodation? Or, if you aren't travelling too far from your previous accommodation ask if your hosts know of any generous people who might hold onto your luggage for the night near Rossaveal?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
18,945 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Rossaveal

Rossaveal / Aran Island Ferries FAQ

http://www.aranislandferries.com/faq.php

I personally would book ahead. In regards to parking make sure your property is in the boot covered up, I leave nothing in the vehicle to see, especially nothing of value, electronics, monies, documents. I check all doors making sure they are secured / locked. I look for a parking place close to where my vehicle can be seen, preferably under outdoor lighting.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Rossaveal

Hire cars are easy enough to identify generally and would be seen as targets by the less conscientious classes.

And if you were leaving your luggage in the car in a public car park, unattended, you would need to check and see if your insurance covered it.

If it were me, I'd be looking at trying to park the car in a secure location. Even if it meant paying for the pleasure. Perhaps consider reaching out to a B&B in the area and asking if you could leave your car with them overnight for a small consideration (generally parking overnight in a car park here in Limerick costs about €10 and it would be a small price to pay for peace of mind).

Reply to: Ferry from Rossaveal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Inishmore