We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Topic
best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

My Wife and friend are spending a few nights in Memphis where are the safest areas to get a hotel?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

I recommend you stay downtown. There's a nice Hampton Inn on Beale Street. And there are some nice hotels along the Trolley Line off Main Streeet. If you stay downtown you can walk around that area easily or take the trolley. Good luck.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

Hey,

I don't know what she needs to be near, but if proximity to a different neighborhood or mall or facility of some sort is not an issue, I would send her to a good hotel Downtown where she and her friend can stroll or ride the trolley to museums, the Peabody Hotel, Beale St., variety of restaurants, etc. The Downtown tourist area is the safest of the areas you can visit, patrolled by car, bicycle and Center City volunteers. Wed. nite is Biker night on Beale with lots of Harleys rolling and parked around there,( just in case that might not be their kind of fun!) Thursday nite is Sunset Rooftop night at some of the hi rise hotels with either live entertainment, like at the Peabody or the Madison or an in house gathering with Memphis BBQ, grilled goodies, etc for guests only like at The Residence Inn. If this trip happens to fall at the end of the month, "Last Fridays" is a promotion of the South Main St. Arts District held every last Friday night. You can ride the vintage trollies free down to S. Main where guitarists, singers,etc. perform on the sidewalks and comp. wine is served by some of the galleries and shops. I hope some of this helps. Yell if you need more info.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

Residence Inn is a great place to stay downtown on the trolley line.

marriott.com/hotels/…

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

On Hotwire..... they have a Downtown Hotel 4 1/2 stars for 129.00 a nite...would anyone have a clue which hotel this may be...i have tried Betterbidding but i cant figure it out???

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

The old Mobile star rating system only went to 4 stars, right?, so 4 1/2 on Hotwire's system must be like Trip Advisor's 5 dot guest rating system, and there are only 5 in Memphis which consistently reach 4 1/2 and stay: Hampton Beale, Residence Inn Downtown, Marriott Courtyard Downtown, Holiday Inn Wolfchase, Staybridge Suites at Ridgeway - not The Peabody, The Madison, or The Westin, ironically.

Edited: 07 June 2011, 11:54
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

Oops, I left out River Inn on Mud Island - 4 1/2 dots.

The dots indicate the amount of continuing approval of guests.

Edited: 07 June 2011, 11:59
MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

so would any of those you listed as the 41/2 dots be walkable to Beale.......i am so paranoid, i want to be able to walk to Beale after having a few drinks, so if i do this "name your own price" thing and pick the 4 star I will be in some hotel that is close enough to walk??? would you say that's right??? or do they just get your money and pick anyone they want?? never used these services before

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

I've never bid for travel either, but downtown hotels, except the River Inn, are walkable or on the trolley line.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

Hampton Inn Beale St. 1 block (less)

Residence Inn on Monoroe 3 blocks

Marriott Courtyard on Jefferson 4 blocks

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best advice on a safe hotel area for Memphis Tn

since i've waited so long to book, i might have to jump in and try it....the Econo lodge still has rooms available, so its that or name my own price and cross my fingers!!!! thanks for the info