We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cades Cove

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
902 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Cades Cove

We are staying at Townsend Gateway Motel for one night in June for easy access to Cades Cove. Unfortunately, our stay is on a Tuesday night which means we won't have early morning access to CC on the Wednesday morning as I have just read on TA that CC is closed to vehicles until 10am - I wanted to be there early to see if we could spot bears.

So if we leave early, head to Gatlinburg for breakfast, then enter the park, probably drive Roaring Forks before heading for CC. Would we have to go all the way back to Townsend for CC or can we access it from within the park. We have visited the park before, but it was a long time ago.

Just a thought - is it the whole park that is closed until 10am or just CC?

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cades Cove

Chattanooga to Townsend is a good 2 1/2 hours going through Lenoir City and Maryville on 321. IMO it is a scenic route. The route and side trips Blue suggests will get you into Cades Cove very late in the evening. Both routes pass by Mayfield Dairy.

Lenoir City exit off I-75 is about 15 minutes past the Sweetwater/Hwy 68 exit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cades Cove

Angela says she'll stay the night in Townsend and visit the Cove the following day. Tuesday is wide open for exploration. If time need be saved on the route a sight or two could be dropped. I-75 through Tennessee is a pretty drive, but it's by no means a scenic road like Foothills Parkway. It is, after all, an Interstate.

13. Re: Cades Cove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 23:19
Get answers to your questions about Townsend