We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guadalupe River Ranch

Houston, TX
4 posts
Save Topic
Guadalupe River Ranch

I have already set up reunion plans for the Gradalupe River Ranch this coming spring. The messages posted on this site make me very uncomfortable, and I'm thinking of cancelling. We were looking for quiet and Hill Country flavor and we even prefer rustic, but dirty bathrooms, bad food, and roaches are a bit too much. Are there any other opinions out there other than those already posted?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guadalupe River Ranch

I can't speak for the quality of the rooms, because I've never stayed there. If the bathrooms were dirty, then they should have called the front desk and demanded them to send someone to clean it! The front desk will probably "comp" something in the process - or at least they should have. Bugs may happen anywhere, and since this resort is located next to a river, i'm not surprised. If it's just one bug, then get rid of it and move on...if it's an infestation, then that's another story. Anyway, I digress. I did eat Easter lunch there, and the food was fantastic! Maybe it was better than normal because of the holiday, but the buffet was incredible - roast beef, sausage, bbq chicken, fish - all the veggies and deserts you can think of - very nice atmosphere too! I love the rustic buildings, and the trees are like huge canopies covering the grounds next to the beautiful Guadalupe river.

Hill Country, TX
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guadalupe River Ranch

I live just down the road from GRR and have been there for dinner and spa treatments. Of the two, the spa was the highlight.

A suggestion I would have is Paniolo Ranch, it is not on the Guadalupe but looks like a great place for a reunion. The downside is that I think you have to do your own cooking. The locale is beautiful though. You are not to much farther out from Boerne than GRR and you will be closer to Sisterdale, Lukenbach and Fredericksburg.

If you are looking to get away from it all, this could be the place.

Mentioned in this post
Hill Country, TX
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guadalupe River Ranch

I live just down the road from GRR and have been there for dinner and spa treatments. Of the two, the spa was the highlight.

A suggestion I would have is Paniolo Ranch, it is not on the Guadalupe but looks like a great place for a reunion. The downside is that I think you have to do your own cooking. The locale is beautiful though. You are not to much farther out from Boerne than GRR and you will be closer to Sisterdale, Lukenbach and Fredericksburg.

If you are looking to get away from it all, this could be the place.

Mentioned in this post
Boerne, TX
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Guadalupe River Ranch

I have neither stayed nor eaten at Guadelupe River Ranch, but went by to visit the public rooms. The interior is very pretty, with close-up tree/river views...but it smelled very musty inside, and this is probably due to some of the furniture, at least, being very old and authentic. Charming, but I wish it smelled less musty. The public restroom was so-so, with a very squeaky door. As for the location, if you like the feel of being totally "out there", away from town, with animals up close (I saw ostrichs wandering in the pasture, for example), and a natural, "cowboy" setting, then this might suit. However, I would prefer staying in town (Boerne) at Ye Kendall Inn, an historic, mid-1800s authentic stage-coach inn, which is still quite old-fashioned and charming, but not so totally rustic. Great food there, too! Being in Boerne also offers the ability to walk to shops (antiques and bric-a-brac, galore, as well as bakery, wine bar, Tex-Mex and other restaurants), and Ye Kendall Inn is itself set on the Cibolo Creek, with ducks wandering about, and giving the feel of the great outdoors, right in town. The Creek wanders across Main Street, and there are picnic tables right on the Creek in town (River Road). Access to the "wilds", including Guadalupe River State Park, and various natural caverns, is so easy from Boerne, by car. Try, for example, Cibolo Nature Center on the edge of town...gorgeous and rustic! There are wilderness walking trails at the Center, and Cibolo Creek flows through here, as well.

Mentioned in this post
Boerne
Boerne
Texas
Ye Kendall Inn
Ye Kendall Inn
232 Reviews
Boerne, TX
The Creek Restaurant
The Creek Restaurant
320 Reviews
Boerne, TX
Main Street
Main Street
1,689 Reviews
Fredericksburg, TX
Guadalupe River State Park
Guadalupe River State...
164 Reviews
Spring Branch, TX
Cibolo Nature Center
Cibolo Nature Center
93 Reviews
Boerne, TX
Houston
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Guadalupe River Ranch

I had planned my wedding there for the autumn. We went there last wedneday (6-7-06)and were totally disappointed. The main thing we were looking for was natural beauty and good food. The entire place has become unkempt. The horticultarist that once kept the grounds has moved on and not been replaced. Everything is dead, overgrown and most planting beds had the dead remnants of old plants. The grotto at which we were supposed to have our wedding was desolate - with dirt where grass had once been and an empty pond with a dirty black liner showing. The BBQ pavilion area had very little grass and was littered with beer bottle tabs and cigarette butts. The restrooms were filthy and the person coordinating my wedding had quit which I have found to be a common occurrence of late.

Needless to say - we cancelled our wedding. I left the place in tears. I'm just glad we went back for a viewing before our actual wedding day. You can imagine the amount of replanning, money and time tht we have wasted. I would go there for a visit if I were you..

dallas
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guadalupe River Ranch

you might wish to rethink. we made reservations and they screwed them up 3 times. then, they charged my credit card large amounts, 3 times before we even showed up. when i called to get them to fix the credit card issues, i had to beg to get them to fix them. they wanted to leave them and just make it up to me when we got there. when i was on the phone with them, i saw the website about the mold and dirty carpets in a room that we were going to pay $250/nite for with a newborn and an asthma sufferer. i asked them about the complaints and they pretended not to know anything and said if we did not like it when we got there, we could talk about it. my friend got on the phone and chewed them up for 30 minutes telling them that the majority of reviews were very negative (including on yahoo travel). they finally agreed to refund us before we took the trip. but, they said they would refund us fully and then they only did a partial. they seem either clueless or don't care, can't figure out which. we ended up at a place called koyote ranch in medina. it is new, extremely clean and very well done. we loved it. they have really cute cabins of all sizes, RV hookups and tents, a merchantile store that sells wine (decent to good wine!!). We had a great time. they have two stocked ponds for fishing that were a bit low due to drout but we still fished and kids caught. they have a beirgarden (beer) with shuffleboard and horseshoes. we brought our own yard games for the kids. pool and hottub and smack between kerrville and bandera. we even cooked in our cabin and grilled on their grills which was great.

7. Re: Guadalupe River Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Boerne
Recent Conversations