We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

I am looking to book tickets this summer from the midwest, connecting at Houston International and going to California. How much time do I need to allow for the connection flight so we don't miss our next flight? I rarely fly and have never flown through this hub.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

If you are connecting to the same airline you can do it in about 30 minutes. If you are connecting with United/Continental, I would allow more time because the gates are far apart.

Also, if you are connecting on the same airline, the flight schedule will book you on a schedule with enough flight time (there are minimum connecting flight times that airlines must follow). Of course, there can always be delays due to weather, mechanical, etc, but the airlines will work with you on that and can put you on the next flight out.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

If you rarely fly, you may be unaware of how often flights get delayed these days, thus causing problems with connecting flights. And, if you miss a flight, you aren't put on the next flight out, you are put on the next flight that has seats AVAILABLE and that could easily be a day or two later.

The best and safest route is to allow yourself more time that you think you will need for a connection. It's always better to sit around an airport for an hour or two thanhave to try to re-book a missed connection!

I have flown out of IAH many times, and since summer storms can be a problem in Houston, if it were me, II would allow myself at least 90 minutes for a connection.. (And, as Knr says, the flight schedule you'll see when trying to book a flight will show a "legal" time for connecting flights. I find some of those "legal" times ridiculous and they don't do you any good when your flight is late and you miss the connection.)

Edited: 04 March 2012, 03:53
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

Another thing to think about when scheduling your flight--try for the flights that are earlier in the day. That way you can minimize the risk of delays and, at IAH in the summer, afternoon storms. I'm like longhorn74--I leave plenty of time in between flights, no matter what an airline thinks is legal and makeable.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

I agree, I always try to allow 90 mins at IAH even for domestic flights. UA does schedule connecting flights for as little as 40 mins through IAH, this is really pushing it if you have to change terminals - which might happen if you are coming from the midwest as your first leg may well be on a small, commuter jet.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,106 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

I would say 60 to 90 minutes.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,696 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

The Iowa to California airline schedules will make this choice for you. Hopefully you are not trying to book two independent legs for this journey.

Tennessee, Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

I always say that the more time the better... you can always find something to do in an airport... i normally try for two hours give or take an unforeseen events

8. Re: How much flight time is needed for a domestic flight??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:40