We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

Perth
6 posts
Save Topic
Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

In June we will be driving to Fort Worth from New Orleans.

Not sue which is the better way ie via Houston or through the middle.

Any advice would be appreciated

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

I 20 to I 49 to I 10----ie Dallas to Jackson to Lafayette to Baton Rouge to NO

Stop in Breaux Bridge for lunch at Cafe des Ami

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Lafayette
Lafayette
Lafayette Parish, LA
Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

The fastest route is the one Felschurch gave, though in reverse. Only a bit longer is I10 to Beaumont, then hwy 105 over to I45 at Conroe, north to Ennis, then hwy 287 into Ft Worth. If you will arrive after 4:00 pm, probably it would be better to do the latter route as you won't have to go across the Dallas area. Do you have more than one day for the drive?

Mentioned in this post
Beaumont
Beaumont
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Conroe
Conroe
Texas
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Perth
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

Thanks for your messages. Maybe I should have explained myself better. We have from the 13th to 28th May to drive from Nashville to Fort Worth. We are Australian visitors and intend going to Memphis, Jackson and New Orleans - then on to Fort Worth.

Our maps do not differentiate between main roads/motorways and other roads. Apart from the major cities, can you suggest what towns/route we should see so that we do not miss out on any major attractions along the way.

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

You can look on maps.google.com to see the differences in the roads. Anything that starts with letter I, then a number, is a limited access superhighway with speed limits between 60 and 70 MPH. You make great time on those, and there are regular stops available for gas and food. They are called our interstate highways. They are also signposted with places of interest at the various exits. Brown and blue signs mark tourist attractions along the way.

Since you have two weeks, why not try this route:

Nashville to Memphis on I-40. Spend a couple of nights in Memphis, eat some BBQ, go hear some blues music, visit Graceland if you are an Elvis fan. There is an attraction on Mud Island in the Mississippi River that I have never been to but it sounds interesting.

Then head south through the state of Mississippi on (I think) US 61. It is the more scenic route that parallels I-55. This will take you to New Orleans. Lots of great things to do there. Jackson Square, Creole food, swamp tours, Preservation Hall Jazz Band in the French Quarter, and nearby is Destrehan Plantation.

From New Orleans, take I-10 west through Baton Rouge to Lafayette. Stay there, too. It's Cajun Country and very interesting. Avery Island is a beautiful bird sanctuary nearby, and there is lots of great Cajun food and zydeco music.

From Lafayette, continue on I-10 through Houston to San Antonio. Home of the Alamo, the Riverwalk, great TexMex food and mariachi bands.

From San Antonio, travel north on I-35 to Ft. Worth. There you can see the Stockyards to get a flavor of the Old West. They also have a terrific zoo and a lovely Japanese Botanical Garden.

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Graceland
Graceland
15,904 Reviews
Memphis, TN
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Jackson Square
Jackson Square
13,413 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Preservation Hall
Preservation Hall
4,980 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Destrehan Plantation
Destrehan Plantation
482 Reviews
Destrehan, LA
Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
Lafayette
Lafayette
Lafayette Parish, LA
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
The Alamo
The Alamo
16,278 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

Here's the link to my Texas Triangle Route which you can incorporate into your plans as you see fit. Just eliminate the Houston-Dallas leg. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr… If you allocate at least five days for Texas, you could see quite a lot of the state though that would only scratch the surface.

Edited: 07 March 2012, 13:54
Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,734 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

FYI

Currently the I-10 bridge in Lake Charles is under construction and down to one lane in each direction. The Friday before Mardi Gras it took friends 3 hours extra traveling east.

Wednesday after Mardi Gras took us about 10 minutes extra traveling west.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Charles
Lake Charles
Louisiana
7. Re: Drive from New Orleans to Fort Worth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 20:17