We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should i stay?

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where should i stay?

Hello all,

Me and my girlfriend are visiting Houston from England for two nights after a two week tour around the deep south. We want to be able to relax but be in the "middle of everything" (if possible). Not too expensive, we're not rock stars!!! Nor do we want a sh*t hole!

Where do you recommend? Advice from locals or regular visitors would be gratefully received.

thanks a heap

John and Esther, first time visitors to the land of the free!!!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should i stay?

The Galleria area is usually were we recommned visitors, but it could also depend on where you plan to visit while in Houston.

For The Galleria area I would recommend the Drury Inn & Suites, the La Quinta Inn & Suites (lq.com) or Courtyard by Marriott.

Sounds like y'all will have a great 2 week trip.

Welcome to the US!!

London
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should i stay?

We too are looking at Houston (and then on to New Orleans and back) - searching thru the Houston hotels we're a bit confused about the distance to the airport. It'll be Geo. Bush Int. and we can't see how to get with cases etc to a downtown hotel on a train... is it taxis only?

If getting to the centre of town with luggage proves too difficult and/or expensive it'll narrow our choice of hotels for our first few nights.

Many thanks,

Liz & Hugh

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should i stay?

There is no public transportation outside the small downtown core. You would need to rent a car or take a taxi to get from IAH to downtown Houston.

Depending on the time of day, it could take an hour or so to get to downtown.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 03:12
London
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should i stay?

Ah - thank you. So it's an airport hotel, or jumping into a new car in a new city and launching ourselves into the fray, or taxi-ing into the city. I think we'll compare hire car prices too, to give an overall comparison. Thanks for mentioning Galleria, it gives us a starting point. Looking forward to it immensely, much appreciated

Liz and Hugh

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should i stay?

If you have some flexibililty about where you stay and you don't want to jump into the breach immediately, take a look at the Marriott Waterway hotel in The Woodlands (that's not it's exact name but if you look at the Marriott site you will find it). This is a community about 25 minutes north of IAH (away from downtown) that might serve you nicely for your first night. It's easy to reach in a rental car from the airport and has lots of restaurants within walking distance. You can also walk along the man-made waterway for a nice evening's stroll. Also in walking distance is Market Street, another area with more restaurants etc. If you need to go into Houston proper, you could leave the next morning after rush hour and drive into town--there will still be traffic but you will be rested and have had a bit of driving experience. I think you would enjoy this much more than an airport hotel, if time, inclination and budget permit.

London
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should i stay?

This is just the kind of knowledge TA excels at! We are considering three days in Houston then on toward New Orleans on spec., so this sounds ideal. We'll suss it out, thanks for the tip. Driving 'cold' can be daunting (especially after a long flight from London) and a first night in an hotel away from town would certainly suit us. We could then have two nights in a more central location to take in the city proper.

Thank you.

L & H L

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should i stay?

Hi,

I've driven in a few countries, and many of our States, and have to say that if you have a good gps, Houston is easy to navigate. You all might enjoy staying at

the Staybridge Suites; it's within walking distance to the Galleria, and is reasonably priced:

ichotelsgroup.com/staybridge/…hoteldetail

This is a good central location. From here, you can enjoy Midtown and Washington Avenue; both have a fun selection of bars, restaurants and great places to enjoy H-Town night life.

Have a good time!

cc,

Cupcake

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
540 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should i stay?

Hi,

Where are you all planning on staying in New Orleans? We love the Dauphine Orleans; it's centrally located for shopping, touring, dining, and you can walk to the best area for night time fun in The Quarter. Be sure to ask for a room in the annex, 2nd floor, as far back on the "galley" (walkway). as they have..the you can sleep in a bit in the morning.

http://www.dauphineorleans.com/

have fun, take care!

cc,

Cupcake

9. Re: Where should i stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:16