We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to fill in several hours before a flight?

uk
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
How to fill in several hours before a flight?

I have a meeting in West Houston which will finish around 2pm.

My flight back to London isn't until 10pm, so will need to be back at the airport around 7.30pm.

I'd appreciate any suggestions people might have as to how to fill the hours in between.

I will have a rental car.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
London
London
Ontario, Canada
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

I would probably suggest you hang out in or near City Centre

http://citycentrehouston.com/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

It would be helpful if you told us what exactly it is that your looking to do.... there is plenty to do

uk
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

Pretty open to suggestions tbh.

Just somewhere to take a stroll, late lunch or early dinner.

I appreciate my time slot isn't too conducive to museums etc.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,089 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

Another option would be to drive to The Woodlands, a community about 25 minutes drive north of IAH. There is an area called the Waterway, which is a man-made--erm--waterway that goes a short distance through the main area. Nearby are lots of restaurants, and it's a good place for a stroll. You can also walk over to Market Street, for more restaurants and shops. After your meal and stroll, you are an easy drive from IAH.

Mentioned in this post
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
George Bush...
Houston, TX
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

Maybe Menil Collection it is a free museum but closed on Mon and Tue open until 7:00p. Parking is easy and can spend 3 hours very easily. Then maybe walk to Rothko Chapel. If it is a nice day you can just be outside. Several restaurants in the general area too. If you are missing 'home' go to Black Lab (walking distance from Menil or you can drive - no issues with parking) and have a pint or pub food.

If you are into shopping then there is always The Galleria. Eat, drink, people watch, shop, window shop....

Mentioned in this post
The Menil Collection
The Menil Collection
819 Reviews
Houston, TX
Rothko Chapel
Rothko Chapel
389 Reviews
Houston, TX
The Galleria
The Galleria
4,505 Reviews
Houston, TX
QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

City Centre is a good suggestion. It has dozens of nice restaurants and shops including Studio Movie Grill where you can have dinner (with beer or wine) while watching a movie! Memorial City Mall on I-10 also includes some very nice restaurants, shops, an ice skating rink and a movie theater. Either of those places would serve you well and I think you would have fewer traffic worries than trying to make your way to The Woodlands.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Memorial City Mall
Memorial City Mall
157 Reviews
Houston, TX
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,089 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

I suggested The Woodlands since the OP said he was looking for a place to take a stroll as well as eat a meal. City Centre does have restaurants and the SMG but the option of strolling doesn't, for me, exist there as it does in The Woodlands. City Centre is adjacent to the tollway (freeway) while the waterway in The Woodlands would be more relaxing and offers a bit more variety. If the OP leaves west Houston around 2 pm getting to The Woodlands shouldn't be too bad and the drive from there to IAH later in the evening would be the same as from City Centre.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
George Bush Intercontinental Airport
George Bush...
Houston, TX
QOE
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

I think all three places are great suggestions and it's nice that we can offer different options, depending on the OP's needs and the traffic/weather on the day. I'm a mall walker, myself, so that idea appeals to me as much as walking the Waterway.

9. Re: How to fill in several hours before a flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:42