We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided fishing suggestions

Fort Worth, Texas...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Guided fishing suggestions

Hi, any suggestions for guided fishing tours? We're here now and need suggestions. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Fort Worth, Texas...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guided fishing suggestions

I saw the post below. A lot of numbers and websites no longer work. If I find a good guide I'll post here.

2. Re: Guided fishing suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2016, 18:01

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guided fishing suggestions

Try Captain Ron Coulston - Ron's Guide Service, 361-557-0555; fishing@ronsrockportfishing.com; www.ronsrockportfishing.com

Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guided fishing suggestions

I do NOT recommend Reelin' with Ron. This is our experience:

We have been traveling to Rockport for eight years, and have fished almost every trip. The guide that we used for all of those years is no longer in service, so we contacted our longstanding hotel, The Lighthouse Inn, and requested some referrals for good local guides. We received three recommendations; however, our trip was within three weeks, and all were booked except for one, Ron Matson, of Reelin' with Ron.

He asked that we send a $200 deposit, which had never been requested by previous guides, but I thought that possibly local standard policy might have changed in the months since we had last been, and promptly sent the deposit. He requested that we contact him the day before to reconfirm (not the other way around), which I also did, receiving an answer on his number from a lady, who reported that he was "out on the water," and would get back with me. He called back late that evening, and confirmed the pick up time at 7AM, but had already forgotten our names and how many people were going (he had, however, cashed the check).

Ron arrived and asked us to sign in, stating that he wrote for the paper and might want to publish photos of our catch that morning. He took us five miles out to a seaweed bottom-covered reef, where we sat for two and a half hours and between the four of us caught a puffer fish, and nothing else. He finally said that we would move, pulled anchor, and moved about five hundred feet to another seaweed covered area, where we sat until 10:45 without a single hit. He complained about the airboats moving around, and upon his third comment about them, I finally said that on all of our previous trips, the guide would move until he found the fish. He ignored my statement/question about his tactics, and things grew so tense on the boat as to be miserable. Ron then proceeded to take two phone calls booking another fishing trip on the following Monday, while we had to repeatedly request that he re-bait hooks with empty baits, full of seaweed. My mother-in-law, who is a two-year cancer survivor, had traveled seven hours for the trip. It was she who finally said that she had had enough. Ron pulled anchor (after being reminded by my sister-in-law that he was pulling off with the anchor still in the water), and took us back to shore.

I was stunned when we arrived. He made a joke about who was going to clean the fish, and then proceeded to wait expectantly for the remaining $300 for the trip. We had not a single fish with which to return home, while on every single prior trip we have taken, we have returned with our limit. We paid his remaining fee and returned to our rooms; disappointed, hot, and with a miserable memory rather than ice chests full of fish.

I have debated whether to post a review at all about this man, but decided that I want to prevent anyone else from wasting their precious time and hard-earned money. You would be better off fishing from a dry dock -- and several fellow guests were, catching many from the dock that day -- than wasting your time with this "fishing guide."

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guided fishing suggestions

Ryan with Rockport Kayaks. He is very knowledgeable about kayak fishing.

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guided fishing suggestions

I was surprised to see Karen M's review above, about Reelin' With Ron's Guide Service. My experiences with Ron are completely different, and if there is one observation I would make, it was that he actually was extra focused on the bait, making sure our hooks were full of bait and in a good spot. He bought lots of different bait each day, fresh and lively and had plenty to work with all the time. And we caught LOTS of fish. I got a giant redfish on a day when nobody was getting anything, on a nasty cold front in windy, raw conditions. It was so big I almost couldn't handle it and fell backwards, breaking one of his reels handling it for the picture.

But that was just one trip. Other times we got limits of reds, black drum, and really nice sheepshead.

Some days, fish turn off. I don't blame a guide when the fishing is tough. They know what they are doing day by day.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Guided fishing suggestions

I was surprised to see Karen M's review above, about Reelin' With Ron's Guide Service. My experiences with Ron are completely different, and if there is one observation I would make, it was that he actually was extra focused on the bait, making sure our hooks were full of bait and in a good spot. He bought lots of different bait each day, fresh and lively and had plenty to work with all the time. And we caught LOTS of fish. I got a giant redfish on a day when nobody was getting anything, on a nasty cold front in windy, raw conditions. It was so big I almost couldn't handle it and fell backwards, breaking one of his reels handling it for the picture.

But that was just one trip. Other times we got limits of reds, black drum, and really nice sheepshead.

Some days, fish turn off. I don't blame a guide when the fishing is tough. They know what they are doing day by day.

Reply to: Guided fishing suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rockport
Recent Conversations