We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brattleboro questions

New Jersey
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Brattleboro questions

My wife and I are going back to Brattleboro, but this time with her family. I have two questions and any help would be appreciated. (1) What's the best place for a hike on a trail in the area? (2) We are taking the scenic route from NJ and driving through the Green Mountains on VT9. Is there a spot on that route where we can stop for a picnic/picture taking/sightseeing? Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,298 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brattleboro questions

pictures- there is a large antique barn just before bennington which has nice views if I recall. You aren't really in mountains in this area so can't say anything is amazing. Also, in Bennington, there is the Ethan Allen and Greenboys monument area which would be great for a picnic

Mentioned in this post
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brattleboro questions

If you're taking Rt. 9 between Bennington and Brattleboro, there's a really spectacular multi-state view at the top of Hogback Mountain, you'll be able to pull over to take some pictures at the tourist lookout.

Mentioned in this post
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
634 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brattleboro questions

Is this the route you're planning on taking (I randomly picked Sloatsburg as the starting point)?

http://goo.gl/maps/24jK8

If so, and you have extra time, this is a little bit better, IMO, it's a decent balance between making time and good scenery.

http://goo.gl/maps/vGrar

And the view from Hogback is very nice, a high point of my travels across the area.

As for a hike, it's been too long and I lost touch with my contact, but there is a nice hike up to the white rocks above Bennington. I'm hoping a local can provide illumination...

Mentioned in this post
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brattleboro questions

Hogback Mountain does have beautiful three state views, including great view of NH's Mt. Monadnock here on many days. Woodford State Park halfway between Bennington and Wilmington would be a lovely hike and picnic stopover. The White Rocks hike mentioned earlier is a few hours round-trip, perhaps longer than you'd like. You could also take a hike on the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail which crosses Route 9 just east of Bennington. But I think the state park might be your best bet. Hopefully you are not coming now when the trails are muddy though? Some trails are closed at this time of year so they don't get damaged by hikers. Check the Green Mountain Club website.

Mentioned in this post
Woodford State Park
Woodford State Park
28 Reviews
Vermont
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
New Jersey
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brattleboro questions

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's much appreciated. Maybe We are taking Rt. 9 between Bennington and Brattleboro, and Hogback Mountain sounds perfect. I'm still researching trails in the Brattleboro area. Is there a park/trail that anyone could recommend between Brattleboro and Keene? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Bennington
Bennington
Green Mountains, VT
Keene
Keene
New Hampshire
NDG
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Brattleboro questions

Wantastiquet Mountain is in New Hampshire just across the bridge from downtown Brattleboro. The summit gives a nice view of the town and beyond.

The Pisgah Mountain loop in Pisgah State park going towards Keene is OK with some decent view points, but not spectacular.

If you want to go another half hour further than Keene, Mount Monadnock in Monadnock state park is a good choice with one caveat - it is reportedly one of the most hiked peaks in the world (seriously!), so not a hike for peace and quiet, but it is a nice bare rocky summit with great views.

Mentioned in this post
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Keene
Keene
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brattleboro questions

Thanks everyone for all the help. I think we are going to do Wantastiquet Mountain while there and Hogback Mountain on the way in. Thanks again.

Dan

Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brattleboro questions

Brattleboro is bad

Mentioned in this post
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brattleboro questions

Why is Brattleboro bad? My husband and I are on our way there in two weeks time for a little vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brattleboro questions

Brattleboro is a lovely town with a vibrant downtown and lots of great scenery surrounding it. Just ignore that previous post!

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Brattleboro