We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor Swimming in So. Vermnt Brattleboro / Wilmington?

Somerville, MA
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Outdoor Swimming in So. Vermnt Brattleboro / Wilmington?

So I booked a cabin for the July 4th weekend midway between Brattleboro and Wilmington. Apparently the temperatures are forecasted to be 90F+ in Southern Vermont for most of the holiday weekend. Looking for outdoor public swimming holes in So. Vermont - lakes, streams/rivers with safe currents. I'm a good swimmer, just looking to cool off. Info about less crowded secret gems is welcome.

3 replies to this topic
conn
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
148 reviews
1. Re: Outdoor Swimming in So. Vermnt Brattleboro / Wilmington?

Somerset reservoir.

Somerville, MA
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Outdoor Swimming in So. Vermnt Brattleboro / Wilmington?

Thank you ddavep! It was wicked hot in Southern Vermont this weekend. I did take your advice and enjoyed a nice cool dip in Somerset Reservoir on Sunday. Somerset Reservoir required a bit of travel over unpaved but reasonably well maintained roads, but it was worth it. Water temp was wonderful, the scenery was beautiful, and not crowded at all on the weeknd after the 4th of July. On Saturday, I swam in Lake Whitingham/Harriman Reservoir near Wilmington. Equally beautiful, a bit more crowded, but not oppressively so. Both lakes were popular with kayekers and canoers. Thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon dips after half-days of antiqueing and flea-marketing in the Brattleboro/Wilmington area. Thanks again for the advice.

conn
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
148 reviews
3. Re: Outdoor Swimming in So. Vermnt Brattleboro / Wilmington?

Many of the hidden treasures in Vermont require travel on dirt roads, kind of a Vermont thing. Sounds like you had fun in Southern Vermont.

Reply to: Outdoor Swimming in So. Vermnt Brattleboro / Wilmington?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brattleboro