We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

We are considering a driving trip around Vermont this year. Probably, we would plan it for May or early summer. We would fly in and out of Boston, picking up a car at the airport. I know nothing about Vermont, except that it is supposed to have some beautiful scenery and lots of quaint towns. I have heard that Burlington is very nice. It is a given that we like the scenic drives and quaint towns. We also enjoy spending our nights in towns that are walkable for dinner. We love pub food and enjoy wine. We are late 50's and activity is not a problem... We easily walk 10 miles +/ day when we travel. We are not museum types. Ideas please?!

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

Is there a reason why you want to fly to Boston? If you don't plan on visiting Boston I would suggest flying into Burlington instead! Manchester NH and Albany NY would be other good choices.

Visit Burlington for sure. Stay at one of the downtown hotels (Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hotel Vermont, or Courtyard Marriott). Lots of great shops/restaurants in walking distance. The recreation path is great for walking.

I would also suggest meandering your way along Route 100. Spend a day or 2 in Stowe then head south. Woodstock would be another good town to spend a night or 2. Route 100 is beautiful-my favorite section is from Warren to Stockbridge - beautiful!

Enjoy your trip!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Manchester
Manchester
New Hampshire
Albany
Albany
New York
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
809 Reviews
Burlington, VT
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Stockbridge
Stockbridge
Berkshires, MA
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

You can fly direct on Delta from Atlanta to Burlington. Depending on time and day, driving in and out of Boston can be a nightmare. And then it's a pretty boring interstate drive through Massachusetts and New Hampshire to get to Vermont.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
port republic
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

agree with Vter and Adam, but you may also want to visit the white mountains in NH spend a night in Lincoln or Jackson

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

I did look at flying in to Burlington. We are fairly loyal to Delta. My biggest reason for not flying in to Burlington would be that all the flights I saw were on little baby planelet jets and I am claustrophobic. Maybe I need to investigate more. I will look into spending the night in Lincoln or Jackson,bushwacker44.Also I will look into the Albany and Manchester airports. I know driving around Boston is not fun, did that on our trip to Maine.

Time to get out my atlas and see where these towns are located!

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Albany
Albany
New York
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

If you have passports you could also consider using Montreal's airport.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

Morning Travelmoremacon,

Also consider Bradley in CT, great airport and allows you to approach VT from the south, but it's much easier to get in and out of than Logan. Woodstock VT should also be on your radar, check out the village website www.woodstockvt.com as the village is in the middle of the State and two interstates cross less than 20 minutes away. Woodstock would be in the top 3 quaint villages in the State....

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

Thanks for all the replies, this is all very helpful with my plans. We will NOT be flying in to BOS, as the other options suggested are much better. Looks like flying in to Manchester is the most cost efficient, at least for now.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
934 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

Flying into Manchester is a good plan. It's easy to drive in and out of, and within 30 minutes you are in some beautiful countryside. You could either drive north on I-93 into the White Mountains and then over to Vermont, or drive up I-89 thru the Sunapee area and into Vermont. Both options are very scenic. You could also meander on the small country roads leading west out of Manchester thru some pretty Currier and Ives NH countryside towards Vermont. Good towns in NH for walking around and dining might include Peterboro, New London, Hanover, Keene, Jackson, Littleton, etc. There are dozens of very charming little villages in both states. Burlington is a fairly good sized city, but one of the most beautiful in the US. Woodstock, Chester, Stowe and Middlebury Vermont are smaller but have some nice dining options. The Yankee magazine web site has lots of info.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New London
New London
Connecticut
Keene
Keene
New Hampshire
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
365 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

Thanks, dougdnh. We have really enjoyed our previous trips to New England. Vermont is the only state we have not been to. Have been told that we really haven't been till we go to Vermont. Also, have not really explored Hew Hampshire either, only Portsmouth.

We have fond memories of that town.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly in/out Boston- 6/7nights driving around Vermont

VT has some great scenery indeed, and sounds like it'll fit your desires well. One other travel option to consider is Jet Blue, which flies 3-4 roundtrips to/from JFK daily with large planes.

When in VT, a couple of other suggestions: In the Burlington area, the Colchester Causeway is a spectacular walk - an old rail bed-turned-rec-path that juts out 2.5 miles into Lake Champlain, with great views of VT and NY's mtns. About 5 miles north is Niquette Bay State Park, which has ~6 miles of excellent walking/hiking paths, with a few views of the lake and mtns.

Stowe is another great town to see, and they have a ~7 mile rec path that's quite different from BTV & Colchester's.

If you want suggestions for moderate and/or more difficult hikes, just shout.

Mentioned in this post
The Burlington Hostel
The Burlington Hostel
57 Reviews
Burlington, VT
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont