We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

Denver,CO
6 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

We'll be leaving the city around 3pm on a Thursday with 3 adults and one toddler. Is there a combination of taking a train and renting a car that makes sense? The less complicated the better. We will need a car for the weekend so we'll have to rent one eventually.

10 replies to this topic
Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

Why not just rent the car for the entire trip? That would be the least complicated.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

The Amtrak train from Penn Station in NYC to Albany NY is a great way to get out of the city without a car. It's about 2.5 hours, is quite scenic, and a comfortable way to travel. I am not sure about renting a car near the Albany station since we've always taken our own, but it does look like they have some info on car rentals on the website for the station. www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer… The drive from there to Londonderry VT will be pretty easy - less than 2 hours.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

there car rentals at the end of the metro north hudson line? Enterprise is in the poughkeepsie station.

I would think MTA is cheaper than Amtrak. hop on the taconic from there

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

Amatrak can be surprisingly reasonable in cost. The MTA is a commuter train and it will likely be crowded on a weekday afternoon, have dozens of stops, and not get you as far north as Amatrak but take the same amount of time.

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
680 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

I think you can get Amtrak train (Ethan Allen express) fr NYC to Rutland VT (don't know if it makes other stops south of Rutland but Manchester wd also be a reasonable place to get off if the train stops there) fr wh it wd be abt a 45 min drive to Londonderry. However I think the train only runs once a day. Alternately, people often take train fr NYC to Springfield MA or New Haven and then drive.

Denver,CO
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

Driving out of the city is a bit scary but I agree it would be the least complicated. Thank you for your reply!

Denver,CO
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

Thank you for the link, I like the idea of taking Amtrak out of the city.

Denver,CO
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

Thank you!

Denver,CO
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

I guess it will depend what the Amtrak tickets are compared to the cost of renting a car in NYC. Thank you!

Denver,CO
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT

Thanks for the tips!

Reply to: Traveling from NYC to Londonderry, VT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Londonderry
Recent Conversations