We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the beach

Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
the beach

My wife and I love to sit on the beach...reading, walking, swimming. We'd like to see Chincoteague in early September. Do folks bring umbrellas to the beach and just hang? Can you park close? Do the horses come close? Thanks for your replies.

Chincoteague...
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
553 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: the beach

Don't tell anyone, but September is the BEST beach month here! Yes, you can bring umbrellas & you can park right at the beach. The ponies on the VA side of Assateague don't come onto the beach during the peak season. You may see some during the winter, but they aren't hanging next to your picnic basket here as they sometimes do on the northern (MD) side of Assateague. In September, the beach is much less crowded and we usually see dolphins just off shore. It's also a great time for hiking & exploring the refuge trails since the mosquitos die off then too. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Maryland
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: the beach

Thank you, Tina. Where would you stay on a moderate to big budget for 3 nights?

Chincoteague...
Destination Expert
for Chincoteague Island
Level Contributor
553 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: the beach

There are 2 family run hotels I like and suggest for our friends - on South Main the Waterside and on Maddox, the Refuge. Both are a little more homey than the chains, which I like. If you prefer the amenities you get at a big name hotel, the one closest to the beach is the Best Western and the Hampton on Main Street is very well liked too.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: the beach

Refuge Inn is terrific! Stayed there twice. Would be again except we are renting a condo this time for the extra space and a kitchen.

5. Re: the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Chincoteague Island
Recent Conversations